Selmer TV6 from 1964 for repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selmer TV6 from 1964 for repair

I was sent this amplifier from a person in the UK that as he wasn't confident enough to get this amplifier going, I undertook the repair at the cost of parts only. It is too valuble to get destroyed or lost.
    The story was that it went wrong back in the early 70s and was stored away in the loft until a few weeks ago.
    I suggested it was not powered up as the electrolitycs will need reforming. That was a slow process. I removed the valves except the rectifier, checked for any electrical issues and then fitted a 100k resistor between the output of the EZ80 rectifier and the first tank capacitor. This is very important as it stops any inrush of current that will damage any old electrolyte until it has been reformed, a lot like an old lead acid battery with a similar process but usually more success with electrolitycs.
    The whole process took about 24hours before the leakage current was reduced to uAmps and then I check and replace the faulty components.
    There was a few components that were out of tollerance and were replaced. The original fault was a faulty EL84. Intermittant Screen grid short to Supressor grid. Not that unusual but the valve looked original, so I forgive Mr Mullard.
    I enclose a few photographs for interest and still carry out 'hospital jobs' at cost. Another interesting part of our history.
    Thank you for looking and hope you find this interesting.
    Attached Files
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Cool old amp!

A friend just picked up a Selmer Zodiac Twin that belonged to Eric Bazilian of the Hooters.(semi famous Philly band)

Comment

Nice!
      Look after it, there are not many left.
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk

Comment

Who made those white resistors with the orange ends?

Comment

Sweet old amp! I scored a couple EF86s like that in an old projector from a school. Along with a Telefunken & Seimens EL84 each. Couple Mullard ECC81s also.

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Probably Mullard, long time ago, I just remember them as 'Carbon Drifters'.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
              Who made those white resistors with the orange ends?
              They're made by Erie in the UK. They were the most common resistors here up until maybe the early to mid '60s. Because they're formed inside a ceramic tube it makes them quite bulky for their power rating.

Comment

Friend has a old fuzzface, original I think, that had those resistors. He wanted me to find some but if they are known to be bad could be a moot point. Maybe he's just trying to get it back to stock looks to increase collector value.

Comment

They are not 'bad' but merely old and getting a little unreliable. Most were rated at 1/4 Watt and driven a bit harder, anode load resistors come instantly to mind, they change value under load.
                  If you look at older equipment, as I do, it is good to remember the old resistor chart, Body, Tip Dot.
                  I still have my Radio Spares resistor kit complete with most values of carbon drifters.
                  The case dates back to the early 70s but cannot remember the cost at the time.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I sometimes get older AC30s which are populated with Erie resistors. They do drift, but I don't replace them unless there's a problem. The same with Rangemasters and Fuzz faces - they can drift in a way that gives a pedal a desirable sound. the higher value resistors drift more and plate load resistors can be noisy, so that can be a problem if excessive. It's worth remembering though that Erie made hi-stab versions using the same ceramic body construction. Rather than carbon these are metal film and are an excellent replacement where noise and stability are key. At one time B&W TV sets were a good source of these as 'pulls'.

Erie was founded in the USA - did the factory there make the same component style as the UK? I can't recall seeing American equipment with these installed.

Comment

The High Stability resistors had the pink band on them and mostly they were 10% tolerance, sometimes 5% with the gold band as well.
                      Cannot speak for USA though but I remember most chassis built in the 60s had those resistors fitted.
                      I still get the early AC30s in for refurb with those in and as you do, only replace the faulty ones. I found a source of the 8u - 8u twin pack electrolytics, nice to fit the correct value and look components.
                      Good to hear from you and keep safe and well.

Comment

I've got a bunch of 2.7meg, i think these are Erie, if UK made i don't know how they got over here. They all measure exactly 3.4meg which seems odd but they were all stored in the same container since the 70's.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200403_161122.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	857191

Comment

Working...
                        X