This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubu-19.10 Vanilla Desktop Install

Ubuntu knows a lot of linux purists don't care for all the purple, and the non removable dock bar on the side.
    So they have an alternate desktop that can be loaded to turn it back to a conventional gnome desktop with the left hot corner.
    That is the desktop that I run.
    It is called the vanilla-gnome-desktop.
    Here's how to install it.
    I add the following commands.
    # apt install gnome-session
    reboot into regular gnome
    # apt install vanilla-gnome-desktop
    reboot into regular gnome, and all purple should be gone, except the wallpaper, and it can be changed to something else.
    To get all the other gnome apps,
    #apt install gnome
    If you like the regular Ubuntu purple docking bar desktop, then just use it and disregard this post.
    If you like the Docking bar desktop without all the purple, the last screenshot shows that, and you select it at login.
    See screenshot to see what it looks like after modifying.
    T
    **Overall the new 19.10 Official seems to be a great OS, and I look forward to using it!
    Attached Files
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Ubuntu-Studio-19.10 XFCE-Desktop

Here's a review of Ubuntu 19.10 Studio, with Low Latency Kernel.
      It comes jam packed with programs for Studio work, for?
      Audio
      Graphics
      Video
      Photography
      Publishing
      It comes stock with the XFCE Desktop.
      You can also download the Vanilla-gnome-desktop, if you prefer the gnome desktop.
      Both have the panel on the top.
      Hopefully some of our Audio buffs will give it a try.
      It can be downloaded for free here.
      https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10703
      If anyone tries it please report back, I have it currently loaded on petition 5 of my i5 test computer.
      This is one of a few Ubuntu's created in the USA, others are from other country locations.
      Here's a video of some of the studio features.

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Here's a Live test and review of Voyager 19.10.
        I have it loaded live on a Sandisk 32gb USB-3 Memory stick.
        It is a repackaged version of the new Ubuntu 19.10.
        It is on same 5.3.18 kernel.
        Voyager adds a few more more bells and whistles to the already packed Ubu 19.10 version.
        Voyager moves the docking bar from the left side to the bottom.
        Voyager adds a terminal app at the top.
        It is running the same Gnome 3.34.1 desktop.
        Voyager does combine the vanilla desktop, and the docking bar can be disabled in extensions, turning it back to vanilla gnome.
        It can be downloaded for free from here.
        https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10719
        A very nice repackage of Ubuntu gnome 19.10.
        Some screenshots below.
        Attached Files
        Terry

Comment

Fedora FC31 Cinnamon

Here's a quick review of Fedora issue FC31, with the Cinnamon desktop.
          FC31 came out in oct. 2019.
          I bought the new Dell i5 Laptop, it was a black friday special priced sale item.
          It doesn't seem to like my traditional gnome, there is a touchpad driver issue.
          So I've tried alternative desktops, and the Dell seems to really like Fedora Cinnamon.
          Cinnamon uses a bottom panel(I moved it to the top), which looks like old Windows of the past.
          Fedora uses the DNF package manager, that is easy to run.
          Full updates can be done with this one single command.
          # dnf update
          Or if you prefer to do updates with a gui, it will notify you to install updates, automatically.
          Fedora is very stable, is built by the folks that make Red Hat, the oldest Linux in the industry.
          Fedora Cinnamon can be downloaded free from here.
          https://spins.fedoraproject.org/en/cinnamon/
          I give the Fedora Cinnamon OS, a good solid grade of an A.
          See Screenshots below
          T
          Attached Files
          Terry

Comment

Pop!_OS 19.10 w/Gnome Desktop

Here's a quickie review of the user friendly Pop!_OS 19.10 Gnome.
            Found for free here
            https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=popos
            It is based on Debian, and Ubuntu 19.10.
            It uses the traditional Gnome desktop.
            I have it loaded on Partition 5 on my test computer.
            It is running on Kernel 5.3.0-7 generic.
            If you like Ubuntu, with traditional type gnome, then you may like trying out Pop!_OS.
            Give it a try!
            It comes with Libre office Version: 6.3, Firefox Browser 71.
            The Gnome desktop version is 3.34.

See Screenshots below.
            Attached Files
            Terry

Comment

Archman Linux 2020-01 XFCE

Here's a quick review of the Archman Linux 2020 with XFCE Desktop.
              I don't think I've reviewed this OS before.
              I have it loaded on a 32gb USB 3 memory stick.
              It comes with Kernel 5.4.8, Libreoffice 6.3.4, lots of bells and whistles.
              It uses the pacman package manager.
              Where as ubuntu uses apt, and fedora uses dnf.
              If they would offer it in a gnome desktop, I would load it on the test computer hard drive!
              I will try to find a version of Arch with Gnome desktop!
              T
              Attached Files
              Last edited by big_teee; 04-08-2020, 01:07 AM.
              Terry

Comment

Ubuntu 20.04LTS Mate Beta

Here's the new Ubuntu-Mate-20.04 Beta.
                The official version will be out at the end of the month.
                It being the first day available, it took a while to download.
                It comes with 5.4-0-21 Kernel, 3.34.1.
                It seems to run good for a beta.
                I downloaded it on my test computer, Partition 4.
                It comes with Libre Office Version: 6.4.2.2
                It is built off of Debian, and uses the APT package manager.
                It can be downloaded free from here.
                https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10868
                Here's a few screenshots of the Mate desktop.

Attached Files
                Last edited by big_teee; 04-25-2020, 04:53 PM.
                Terry

Comment

Here's the same 20.04 Beta Mate, but instead of the MATE Desktop, I have the Gnome Desktop loaded.
                  I put Gnome on everything I run.
                  See Screenshots.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by big_teee; 04-08-2020, 01:00 AM.
                  Terry

Comment

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Official Release

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Official came out Thurs 4-23-2020.
                    I have it loaded on my Dell i5 Laptop, w/Samsung NVME solid state drive, partition 2.
                    The LTS stands for Long Term Support, and will be supported with security updates and fixes for 5 years, until May 2025.
                    So if you want to put 20.04 on a computer and it stay there for a long while, this would be a good candidate for that.
                    Most of the improvements of the Ubuntu release that I see are with the new 3.61 Gnome desktop.
                    Ubuntu switched over to the Gnome desktop from the Unity desktop back in October 2017.
                    Ubuntu has worked with Gnome to improve and customize the gnome desktop.
                    Ubuntu also made it easier to convert from the Ubuntu gnome desktop, to the Classic or vanilla desktop I use.
                    The Kernel used is 5.4, with the gnome 3.61 desktop I mentioned earlier.
                    This version of Ubuntu is very fast and polished, and I give it a B+ grade.
                    Give it a try!
                    It can be downloaded for free from Distro Watch.
                    https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10884
                    Here are some screenshot pictures of the new release.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by big_teee; 04-25-2020, 07:07 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

Fedora Workstation 32 Gnome Desktop!

This week Fedora came out with the official release of Work Station FC32.
                      Fedora is the R&D Open Source division of Red Hat.
                      FC32 features the new 3.61 Gnome Desktop.
                      FC32 comes with the newest Kernel 5.6.6-300.
                      Most of the improvements, are in the new 3.61 gnome desktop.
                      Fedora uses the dnf package management system.
                      Of all the Linux Distro's available I run two on my 4 laptops.
                      I run Fedora Workstation and I run Ubuntu Gnome.
                      They both run the newest software, and IMO are way ahead of the rest.
                      And, the best part, they are both free.
                      Fedora can be downloaded for free from here.
                      https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10895
                      If you are a new linux user, I recommend starting with either Ubuntu, or Mint.
                      If you are an intermediate, or advanced user, I highly recommend giving Fedora Workstation FC32 a try!
                      I give Fedora a solid B grade.
                      Check out the Screenshots below.
                      GL,
                      T
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by big_teee; 04-28-2020, 06:00 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

Here's an advanced look at Fedora Workstation FC33, with Gnome desktop.
                        It is scheduled to be released and made official on October 20th.
                        It has the latest Kernel 5.8, the latest gnome release 3.37, and sports the latest version 7 LibreOffice suite.
                        For preliminary software, so far it is running great.
                        See screenshots.
                        T
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by big_teee; 08-23-2020, 06:12 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

A quick review of the new Manjaro 21.1.0 Gnome 40 release.
                          It can be downloaded for FREE here, in XFCE4, KDE-Plasma, and in Gnome 40 Desktop configurations.
                          https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=11324
                          This review is on the Gnome 40 Distro, since that is what I run on my 3 laptops.
                          It is a very fast Distro, and runs my Firefox browser faster than my other distros.
                          Manjaro has been a top Linux Distro for several years.
                          It was so so, but the addition of the Gnome 40 desktop, made me take notice, and give it a try once again.
                          I am very impressed, and would score it 8.8-9 out of 10,
                          Here are a few screenshots, and I highly recommend giving it a try!
                          T
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-20 18-12-33.png
Views:	105
Size:	770.3 KB
ID:	939584

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-20 10-06-34.png Views:	0 Size:	197.1 KB ID:	939574
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by big_teee; 08-20-2021, 11:22 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

Up for review is, MANJARO LINUX 21.1.

The latest Linux Distro to adapt the Gnome 40 desktop platform is Manjaro.
                            It comes in three main flavors, the Gnome (that I use), XFCE, & KDE.
                            It is very fast and Browsers seem to run faster on Manjaro, than other Distro's.
                            Manjaro is a derivative of Arch, and uses the pacman package manager.
                            Manjaro is a very robust full system, with lots of bells and whistles.
                            One thing I've observed, and I've noticed, it seems to be very bug free.
                            I'm running Manjaro Gnome full time on two of my Laptops, the Other two are on Ubuntu 21.04.
                            I have been using in since mid August.
                            Manjaro is a rolling OS, versus a fixed OS.
                            Theoretically, a rolling OS, doesn't have to be replaced or upgraded.
                            Or if does need an upgrade, it will do it as a regular update.
                            Just do daily updates, and that should keep all the latest and greatest software installed.
                            Where as Ubuntu, Mint, & Fedora, are all fixed OS distro's and are only supported for a fixed time frame.
                            After the support time line is reached, you have to upgrade or install a later issue.
                            Here are a few screenshots of the OS.
                            I give it a solid B+ to a A- grade!
                            IMO a great OS.
                            You can download Manjaro from here.
                            https://manjaro.org/download/

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-30 20-15-08.png Views:	0 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	942399 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-30 20-14-10.png Views:	0 Size:	190.7 KB ID:	942400 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-30 20-21-39.png Views:	0 Size:	165.2 KB ID:	942401 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-30 20-26-24.png Views:	0 Size:	405.1 KB ID:	942402 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-30 23-27-15.png
Views:	202
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	942417
                            Last edited by big_teee; 10-01-2021, 04:28 AM.
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Up for review is, MANJARO LINUX 21.1.

The latest Linux Distro to adapt the Gnome 40 desktop platform is Manjaro.
                              It comes in three main flavors, the Gnome (that I use), XFCE, & KDE.
                              It is very fast and Browsers seem to run faster on Manjaro, than other Distro's.
                              Manjaro is a derivative of Arch, and uses the pacman package manager.
                              Manjaro is a very robust full system, with lots of bells and whistles.
                              One thing I've observed, and I've noticed, it seems to be very bug free.
                              I'm running Manjaro Gnome full time on two of my Laptops, the Other two are on Ubuntu 21.04.
                              I have been using in since mid August.
                              Manjaro is a rolling OS, versus a fixed OS.
                              Theoretically, a rolling OS, doesn't have to be replaced or upgraded.
                              Or if does need an upgrade, it will do it as a regular update.
                              Just do daily updates, and that should keep all the latest and greatest software installed.
                              Where as Ubuntu, Mint, & Fedora, are all fixed OS distro's and are only supported for a fixed time frame.
                              After the support time line is reached, you have to upgrade or install a later issue.
                              Here are a few screenshots of the OS.
                              I give it a solid B+ to a A- grade!
                              IMO a great OS.
                              You can download Manjaro from here.
                              https://manjaro.org/download/

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-30 20-15-08.png Views:	0 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	942399 Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-30 20-14-10.png Views:	0 Size:	190.7 KB ID:	942400 Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-30 20-21-39.png Views:	0 Size:	165.2 KB ID:	942401 Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-30 20-26-24.png Views:	0 Size:	405.1 KB ID:	942402 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-30 23-27-15.png Views:	70 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	942417
                              Just to update an already great Linux OS?
                              I've had Manjaro on my wife's laptop for at least two years.
                              As long as you do the Updates?
                              It is a rolling Linux, and a set it and forget it, OS.
                              What that means?
                              For the last two years, her computer stays up to date, and you don't have to reinstall it every so oftern?
                              Like Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, and many others.
                              Ubuntu and mint have a LTS that last for up to five years?
                              But, and to me a big Butt, you stay on the out of date software for that entire duration.
                              Including the Kernel.

So I finally gave Ubuntu and it's Snap Crap software installer, the Ax, and Manjaro is now my everyday go to.
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X