New-Production EH 6973s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New-Production EH 6973s?

Just wondering if anyone has used them with any success?

Don't need to know how they stack up against NOS - this is for a scratch build & I'm not shelling out crazy money for NOS. Just wanna mame sure they don't have a reputation for popping at high plate voltages. I can calibrate for bias, screens, etc.

Willing to try some if they're decent. Seems like most "Reviews" here are from 10+ years ago & were not "favorable." Any updates?

Thanks,

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Yup, last week used a pair to fix a 1966 mystery amp - 1x12 combo with the amp obviously made in Japan, in a cab with a Jensen C12P. The EH's worked just fine - although by the time I got the bias current dialed down to the point plate power was only 10% over design max 12W, the output waveform looked awful. Sounded OK though. Had I left the original 300 ohm cathode resistor in there, plate power would have been a bit over 16 watts. One thing I didn't get to try, possibly the amp would have been happier with a 16 ohm speaker. B+ was about 415V, and it had a 5K resistor going to the screen grid node kind of like a tweed Deluxe. Output power about 12W into 8 ohms.

Can't give any kind of long term review. If the crustomer plays it a lot, we'll find out in ensuing months & years. Maybe.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Thanks Leo!

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
      X