Help reading the scale on my Heathkit IG-18 Signal Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading the scale on my Heathkit IG-18 Signal Generator

So, I have this Heathkit signal generator that I have been meaning to use in some trouble shooting. I have the original assembly and operation manual, but can't figure out how to interpret the meter readings for setting the amplitude for my test.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_1img_0125.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	876570

You set the amplitude control for max. voltage the range can produce. It will be a multiple of 3 or 10. Then you use the appropriate scale (3 or 10) adjusting the decimal place as required.
    So, for example, on the .3V range, you would read the top scale (3), and a '2' reading would be .2V
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      You set the amplitude control for max. voltage the range can produce. It will be a multiple of 3 or 10. Then you use the appropriate scale (3 or 10) adjusting the decimal place as required.
      So, for example, on the .3V range, you would read the top scale (3), and a '2' reading would be .2V
      Thanks, G1. I didn't read the manual carefully. Do you have a sine wave frequency that you use when trouble shooting preamps?

Comment

I've been using 400Hz forever, mostly I find it much less annoying than 1K.
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I tend to use 100Hz for the same reason. But way more than sine waves, I just use music - like from a CD player.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Juan had given me some reason to use 400hz but I don't remember what it was,

nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              I tend to use 100Hz for the same reason. But way more than sine waves, I just use music - like from a CD player.
              100 Hz here too for larger amps. 200 Hz for smaller ones where 100 would challenge dinky output transformers. And with that in mind 500 Hz for Champs and Champ-like SE amps. All guitar amps get a guitar played thru them as a final test, bass for bass amps. This final test often reveals problems that don't show with single frequency or sweep sin wave tests.

And yes, these lower frequencies are a lot easier on the ears.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

it certainly is if you have to listen to it (output transformer "singing" not withstanding). IkHz make mathematical sense as a mid band freq., but it is NOT what you'd consider mids if you listen to it.
                Regardless, I still use it as a default for signal testing
                If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                  IkHz make mathematical sense as a mid band freq., but it is NOT what you'd consider mids if you listen to it.
                  I'd agree with 1K as midrange for Hi-fi or PA, but not for the guitar amp world. 440Hz is high E string fretted at 5th fret (standard pitch). So everything else is below that.

Comment

Working...
                  X