Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the twin reverb backface 80s all by hand wired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://reverb.com/hk/item/31056950-...stion-speakers

i have found a silverface with good price. its 1968 having the same circuit as blackface (AB763), anybody knows the difference ?

Comment

This is a spotty era for me, but IIRC there weren't any circuit differences from the BF models in '68. I think there was a cabinet dimension change though. I'll be corrected if I'm wrong though.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        This is a spotty era for me, but IIRC there weren't any circuit differences from the BF models in '68. I think there was a cabinet dimension change though. I'll be corrected if I'm wrong though.
        so I think the sound is very near to Blackface ?
        I hope I could try all those in real but it’s impossible in my country 😔

Comment

The ab568 has a few changes https://el34world.com/charts/Schemat...verb_ab568.pdf
          The PT looks to put out the same voltages as the ab763 so it should be simple to revert.

Whereas the voltages in the aa769 look to have dropped a fair bit https://el34world.com/charts/Schemat...a769_schem.pdf
          Which may not be a bad thing!
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Depends on when in 68. The "notorious" "horrible" "dreadful" "awful" "mixed-bias" system debuted in the AC568 series in most amps. Where they had 150Ω cathode resistors on the power tubes along with a slightly lower (higher) negative grid voltage than normal.

Spotty era indeed, and no tube chart is to be trusted. Open it up, it's the only way to know for sure.

Of course, I personally have heard more dog BF Fenders than SF, and I also don't see why everything needs to be bought for immediate blackfacing before it ever gets heard...

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I think a lower-voltage Twin Reverb could possibly be killer! I mean, maybe it was a shock way back when but now? Maybe it'll be just a bit browner & is that necessarily a bad thing?

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Also, I'm pretty sure that should be AC568, not AB568. In case anyone go looking further.

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by chunli1900 View Post
                  https://reverb.com/hk/item/31056950-...stion-speakers

i have found a silverface with good price. its 1968 having the same circuit as blackface (AB763), anybody knows the difference ?
                  I can't guarantee it's the same exact circuit as a blackface, and I can't tell you whether the price is a good deal or not, but that IS a mighty fine Twin Reverb you've found there. Can you ask the seller for some inside-the-chassis shots? Specifically around the power tubes. We can ID the circuit in seconds if so.

Fender tube charts are notorious for being "behind the curve," because if they had a few hundred labels left over from the last circuit, they'd use the old ones before making new ones. Usually they would chuck new parts in with old & for a while it'd be a mish-mash of cosmetics & circuit guts. That's why I never trust a Fender tube chart or even serial number.

Justin

Comment

Working...
                  X