Traynor YGM-3 design issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    I don't want to get too far into it, but the idea that Pete built this as a 'DR clone' is ridiculous and somewhat offensive.
    It's one of the most popular vintage Traynor amps bone stock. If you don't like it, go ahead and mod away. But please don't imply design flaws.
    Indeed! It's VERY common for these forums to refer to a given Traynor model as a clone of some coveted Marshall or Fender amp. And none of them were. Far less so in fact than many other manufacturers amps. Looking at the schem I can't imagine relating it to a Deluxe Reverb. No more than I would call a Bassmaster a Marshall clone.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I wonder how many attachments will fly in one post.
      Attached Files

Comment

Three more.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Iplayloud View Post
          nobody seems to care/notice that they're totally missing the 3rd gain stage after the reverb recovery?

When looking at the schematic you can see the plate resistors in the preamp have very high values. I assume trying to sqeeze out more volume/gain from the preamp, to compensate for that missing stage.
          Then you make a DR clone and paralyze it by removing a gain stage. Oh well..
          If we go back to the elephant in the room with this amp, being the completely missing 3rd gain stage (versus a Deluxe Reverb). How terrible was that idea on a scale of 1 to 10? You build a huge plywood box, all PTP, big Hammond transformers, clone a famous circuit, then at 99% of the way, sabotage it...
          How terrible would it be if someone totally blew their circuit analysis by assuming 6BQ5's are the same as 6V6's?
          The 6BQ5 will not make as much power, and needs about half the drive signal to hit clipping. (17Vpk for the YGM vs 35Vpk for the DR)
          If anybody ever wanted to clone a DR, the last thing you would do would be to try it with 6BQ5s.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I'm curious as to where this whole "DR clone" thing came from??? I'm not sure why anyone would make that comparison. I don't see it as at all similar...... I guess it does have tubes, capacitors, resistors, and transformers.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              I'm curious as to where this whole "DR clone" thing came from??? I'm not sure why anyone would make that comparison. I don't see it as at all similar...... I guess it does have tubes, capacitors, resistors, and transformers.
              That's exactly it. Two small bottles, 12" speaker, reverb, tremolo, no mid control and built on an eyelet board. It must be a DR clone. Just like the Bassmaster used the two word name with the first starting in B and the second starting with M. It used EL34 tubes like Marshall amps and the early Marshalls are said to be clones of the Bassman. So the Bassmaster must be a Marshall clone.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I sort of get it, but not really. It's like saying everything that uses a 1K resistor is a clock radio. IMO, the two amps are more different than they are the same.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Or that a tennis ball is just a copy of a baseball because they're both used in a sport where the ball is hit, they both have a similar pattern and are about the same size.

Ever hit a baseball with tennis racket? Don't bother. Very little joy. Take it from me.

Comment

Yeah.. the circuit looks so much more similar to a Plexi.. what was I thinking. Ok yes a different EQ design and PI differences but the final sound is in the same ballpark. That amp was designed to compete against Princetons and Deluxes and did just that since day one. Ask any sellers in music stores, even the reissues are competing with same Fender reissues as 50 years ago.

Comment

I have a 1970 YGM III that I "Fenderized" as the poor thing had so many mods and problems when I got it.

I would never have done this if the amp had been pristine.

Schem of my Fenderized Traynor...

Click image for larger version

Name:	TRAYNOR YGM III.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	857477

Here's a thread with some details...

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=46546
                      If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
                      I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Originally posted by galaxiex View Post
                        I have a 1970 YGM III that I "Fenderized" as the poor thing had so many mods and problems when I got it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58079[/ATTACH]

That's smart. Just let it be a bit lower in gain for the cleaner tones and then virtually lift the tone stack when you want more clipping

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58079[/ATTACH]

Hi Galaxex, what program is that schematic drawn with? It looks much better to my eye than most CAD drawings of tube circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloomfield View Post
                            Hi Galaxex, what program is that schematic drawn with? It looks much better to my eye than most CAD drawings of tube circuits.
                            That is Express SCH, free program.

Comes with Express PCB as a bundle,
                            you don't have to use their PCB service to use the program.

https://www.expresspcb.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                              That's smart. Just let it be a bit lower in gain for the cleaner tones and then virtually lift the tone stack when you want more clipping
                              Thanks!
                              Yes it works very well...
                              didja notice the feedback lift?

Comment

didja notice the feedback lift?
                                Yep. And also that you removed the permanent "presence on ten" cap. Flip that switch much? Or does it just pretty much live in the no NFB position

Comment

Working...
                                X