Capacitor Replacement Quick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor Replacement Quick Question

Working on a Marshall Preamp , and I'm replacing all capacitors , regarding the small ceramic ones , some that I'm mounting have very low Volts (as originally designed) and others have very high voltage [1KV,2KV & 3KV] -

Question is: is it dangerous or risky to mix up low voltage caps with high voltage ones, and is it safe at all to replace low V ceramic caps with very high V ones?

Yes it's safe but they are often a little larger. It's like unnecssary to replace ALL the caps. Usually just the electrolytics as they do have the shortest life. Wax/paper ones in very old equipment are troublesome. Ceramic, film and mica are usually very reliable.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      Yes it's safe but they are often a little larger. It's like unnecssary to replace ALL the caps. Usually just the electrolytics as they do have the shortest life. Wax/paper ones in very old equipment are troublesome. Ceramic, film and mica are usually very reliable.
      Ok thanks for the lightning answer, I was unsure because I heard that replacing a 25V cap with a 3KV one was very dangerous , or that having low caps in series with very high V ones was a no no - I just knew that it's best not to screw around with tantalum caps , thanks man

Comment

Voltage rating is a safety thing. Like weight rating on a step ladder. If you weigh 300 pounds, don't buy a ladder rated for 200 pounds. On the other hand if you weigh a 150 pounds it won't hurt anything to buy a ladder rated for 300 pounds.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Voltage rating is a safety thing. Like weight rating on a step ladder. If you weigh 300 pounds, don't buy a ladder rated for 200 pounds. On the other hand if you weigh a 150 pounds it won't hurt anything to buy a ladder rated for 300 pounds.
          Except when you want to carry more than 150 pounds up that ladder in addition to your own weight. Unless those pounds happen to be British currency. In which case 150 pounds doesn't weight 150 pounds

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I'd give you a ton of credit, if that had made an ounce of sense. But it was a sterling example.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X