Strat Pickup Coil Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Pickup Coil Size

I have settled into predictable results with my Strat pickup re-winds. Using 42G heavy Formvar , every bobbin has the wire come right to the edge of the top flatwork with a DCR of a little over 7K. I keep thinking I could wind them tighter [if my hand-winding technique improves]. My main concern is having a firm coil... when I press on the middle of the coil it's a tiny bit "giving" but not much. What's your experience?

Originally posted by Brian W. View Post
    I have settled into predictable results with my Strat pickup re-winds. Using 42G heavy Formvar , every bobbin has the wire come right to the edge of the top flatwork with a DCR of a little over 7K. I keep thinking I could wind them tighter [if my hand-winding technique improves]. My main concern is having a firm coil... when I press on the middle of the coil it's a tiny bit "giving" but not much. What's your experience?
    I know that, for example, the Lollar Special S eclipsed 7k with 42 AWG, so apparently it can be done, but maybe by using something thinner than heavy formvar?

Comment

I wind one of my Strat style bridge models with 42SPN to 7.6kΩ. I still have room that I could put a little more on before it would reach the edge of the bobbin. I suppose you might have less tension and more scatter than I do if you reach the edge at 7kΩ or the ~ .0002" thicker Heavy Formvar gets you to the edge just that much quicker. My Strat coils really do not bulge out at all along the length and they definitely are not spongy, but I set my tension before each wind and the CNC machine of mine lays down whatever tpl I set. But yes, you are probably reaching your limit with heavy build wire at that DCR.
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
        I wind one of my Strat style bridge models with 42SPN to 7.6kΩ. I still have room that I could put a little more on before it would reach the edge of the bobbin. I suppose you might have less tension and more scatter than I do if you reach the edge at 7kΩ or the ~ .0002" thicker Heavy Formvar gets you to the edge just that much quicker. My Strat coils really do not bulge out at all along the length and they definitely are not spongy, but I set my tension before each wind and the CNC machine of mine lays down whatever tpl I set. But yes, you are probably reaching your limit with heavy build wire at that DCR.
        Now that I have a bit more wire to practice on I have managed to max out the coil to 8k as long as I go slower and don't scatter too much [with 42G] . I keep working on my tension to get a tighter coil so I can get more discipline with feeding the wire onto the coil.

Comment

Now that I have a bit more wire to practice on I have managed to max out the coil to 8k as long as I go slower and don't scatter too much [with 42G] . I keep working on my tension to get a tighter coil so I can get more discipline with feeding the wire onto the coil.
          Keep an eye on your coil tightening exercise. If you wind with too much tension, you may see your coils start to flair up the ends of the top flatwork.
          Take Care,

Jim. . .
          VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
            Keep an eye on your coil tightening exercise. If you wind with too much tension, you may see your coils start to flair up the ends of the top flatwork.
            Funny you mentioned that....... I had some flair in the beginning when I wasn't winding as tight as I am now [not sure about the reason why].

Comment

Working...
            X