Changing Tektronix Scope Probe Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Tektronix Scope Probe Tips

The topic is can a P6055 Probe (one of a pair of Tektronix X10 Passive Differential Probes) TIP, which has been broken off, be replaced? While I've never tried to change one on my P6055 Probes, I remembered having replaced one on other Tek Probes, and pulled up the manual for a P6062A X1-X10 Probe, which had images and instructions on how to remove/extract the probe tip. Now, unless you can still buy replacement probe tips from Tektronix, you're probably left with having to sacrifice a spare Tektronix probe, remove it's tip and install it into the broken P6055. That assumes that probe tip IS replaceable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6062A01 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	876607 Click image for larger version

Name:	P6062A03 copy.jpg
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	876608 Click image for larger version

Name:	P6062A10 copy.jpg
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	876609

P6062A.pdf
    Last edited by nevetslab; 04-23-2020, 06:43 AM.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Those tips are usually specific to one or a narrow range of probes. Your only hope is to contact your local Tektronix Field Office. Most of the older Tek manuals can be found on ebay. If you can't find a printed manual, there are pdf's on CD but the quality of the scan can be an issue.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
      Those tips are usually specific to one or a narrow range of probes. Your only hope is to contact your local Tektronix Field Office. Most of the older Tek manuals can be found on ebay. If you can't find a printed manual, there are pdf's on CD but the quality of the scan can be an issue.
      I have the original manual on the P6055 Differential Probe (and for all of the Tek probes I own), which is where the original question came up. On other Tek probes, like the P6053, P6062, P6063, etc, they do have a service note on the procedure in replacing a broken tip. That isn't contained in the manual on the P6055, which looks like that probe tip is NOT replaceable. My P6055 probes are in my shop, still inaccessible due to the Pandemic shut-down.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

It's good that you kept those manuals. In most of the industrial settings where I've been employed, they just get lost or thrown away along with any spare tips that came with the probes. Then, when the probes become unusable, they just get thrown away and new ones purchased. The guys who worked for me would abuse probes, until I caught them and I laid down the law.

There has been a move at Tek to not send as much documentation with their products, they used to send a full service manual with everything including scopes with manuals over an inch thick.

If the probe is not repairable, you'll just have to purchase a new one. Those differential probes aren't sold in big numbers.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
        X