6v6 tubes for a tweed build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6v6 tubes for a tweed build

I have narrowed down my search to the electro harmonix tube 6v6 and gold loin 6v6. I am planning running these tubes in a 5g9 tweed amp I built. I have very little experience tube shopping, hoping for some of your experiences with either of these manufacturers? Thanks for your input

They're both manufactured in the same factory along with Sovteks. I'd look at the guts, & bet they're the same. I personally don't spend money on gold-label "reissue" tubes. I'd get JJ or Sovtek or other generics, as long as they are tested.

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Mullard too?

Comment

I've had horrible experiences with the reissue Mullards. I wouldn't recommend them at all.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

There are 3 tube manufacturers. Shuguang in China, JJ in Slovakia, & Reflektor/Sovtek in Russia. JJ manufactures under their own name; there is one tube relabeler rhat uses JJ exclusively: EuroTubes.

Shuguang sells tubes under the generic names of Sino or just "Chinese." They also will manufacture large lots of tubes with any label on them you like, or will manufacture to certain specs - Tube Amp Doctor (T.A.D.) uses Chinese tubes made to their specs. And if YOU order a thousand they'll put your logo on them.

The Russian factory makes EVERYTHING else. Mullard, Tung-Sol, Gold Lion, Svetlanas that are not =C= labeled (out of production since about 2010 anyway), Sovtek, Electro-Harmonix, Telefunken, etc. All the Russian tubes come out of the same factory.

Then you have other relabelers like Groove Tubes. They buy tubes from the 3 manufacturers, test j match them, & stick their logo on them.

Then there are the distributors like TubeDepot, Antique Electronic Supply, etc. They buy large quabtities of new tubes from all 3 of the manufacturers, then test & grade & match them, then maybe put a sticker onthem, but don't relabel/rebrand them.

Confused yet?

So given that there are only 3 manufacturers, I use all 3, but only buy generics & have them tested for noise & microphonics, & have my power tubes matched. Not paying a premium for some "reissue" golden-era tube that's got a fancy name. My first choice is JJ or Sovtek, depending on the tube. Haven't tried Chinese power tubes, but have found their preamp tubes to have too much gain, which is not a good thing to me. And my only experience with an EH tube was an immediate screen failure in a Champ. I still have the other.

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

And NOS singles of US-made 6V6GTAs are still relatively cheap. You MAY never hafta buy another one. I'd even consider used. I've got a bunch of old pulls out of a Hammond organ chassis.

Justin

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	49F04433-DB37-4ED4-B58D-80956931873A.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	857592
              Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
              And NOS singles of US-made 6V6GTAs are still relatively cheap. You MAY never hafta buy another one. I'd even consider used. I've got a bunch of old pulls out of a Hammond organ chassis.

Justin
              So, I got a buddy selling these old sylvania’s and I should buy them.

Comment

I'd not use the 5U4 in a Champ, & if they're tested & guaranteed to work, & if the price is right, then sure.

Justin

Comment

I'd not use the 5U4 in a Champ, & if they're tested & guaranteed to work, & if the price is right, then sure.

Justin
                  Thanks Justin

Comment

Justin
                    I would use used old stocks over any of the 3 current production tubes.If you can get them that were used in radio and hi-fi applications they will likely be close to new as these circuits dont stress the tubes as much as we do in guitar amps.

Comment

Working...
                    X