Reverb Tank Experiment Doubt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb Tank Experiment Doubt

Was wondering if I would risk any shock hazard / speaker damage, if I would dismount the reverb tank from my guitar amp , tuck it upside down, power up the amp and fiddle with the springs (either with bare fingers or a small metal rod) to make weird noises..

Any dangers that I should be aware of?? Could the transducers shock me or is it safe to do? Don't want to find out the hard way

The safety aspect depends on how the tank is driven. What amp is it?

Some amps use a driver tube - 6V6, EL84 and capacitor couple the plate to the reverb input via an electrolytic capacitor. I always make sure I don't of touch the disconnected undischarged input with these. Mostly reverb circuits are safe. The BBC radiophonic workshop (mis)used reverb trays for sound effects in the 60s.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
      The safety aspect depends on how the tank is driven. What amp is it?

Some amps use a driver tube - 6V6, EL84 and capacitor couple the plate to the reverb input via an electrolytic capacitor. I always make sure I don't of touch the disconnected undischarged input with these. Mostly reverb circuits are safe. The BBC radiophonic workshop (mis)used reverb trays for sound effects in the 60s.
      The amp is a solid state Marshall valvestate VS100 , with a basic cheap acutronics 8DB2C1D reverb

Comment

That's opamp driven, so fine to experiment with.

Comment

Working...
        X