Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone been paying attention to KLD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone been paying attention to KLD?

They have been offering a lot of kit options and preassembled kits, free shipping on eBay. This one looks ok except I’m not sold on 2x6L6 finals for a 25 watt amp.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/273934882271

Sure looks good, rock bottom price, FREE SHIPPING - from China. Geeze how are we gonna support US manufacturing when they undercut us like this? Oh well, that's the way the fortune cookie bounces. Everything but the chassis & box & tubes.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

looks interesting,cheap enough. noticed in the features section, ·Bias adjustable, it allows you enough adjustment range to bias 6V6, 6L6, EL34, KT66, KT77 and KT88 power tubes.
      If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

They have the chassis for $49.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          Sure looks good, rock bottom price, FREE SHIPPING - from China.
          from ad: "International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges"

Funny story, we have in the past gotten raw materials for making Covid assays from our Chinese supplier labeled "Hair care products"
          ironical!

Comment

I'm not sure whether that would be a deliberate attempt to get them through quicker, or slower... Though sometimes "Medical Chemicals & Products" might arouse curiosity, if not suspicion...

I do remember one time in the car biz, guy went out & got some stupid-ass-size rims for his car, direct from Japan with the tires installed. 30" or something crazy. Anyway, kisses a curb, blows a tire, $600 just for the tire AND it was hung up in Customs for nearly half a year for some reason. That's been my only experience.

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Look at the stack of lams on those transformers!?! At a glance it looks like you're really getting something. But then I considered that it may be because the material they're made from required it? The finish on them looks sort of meh.

KLD was a regular here some time ago. His Engrish wasn't stellar so his correspondence could seem short at times. He got some heat for being a shill trying to pilfer US amp smarts for the Chinese copy market, but I always took him for a smaller company just trying to make it work as a true believer doing what he liked. Just an impression. It could be a great kit for a cheap one. Almost nothing to lose
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I recall that. If they just wanted to rip off USA smarts, they would go Behringer and just copy something. I got the impression they were trying to build something and didn't know how, and were basically asking us to design the circuits a little at a time.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  I recall that. If they just wanted to rip off USA smarts, they would go Behringer and just copy something. I got the impression they were trying to build something and didn't know how, and were basically asking us to design the circuits a little at a time.
                  That might be closer. But I still think he was more just a dude making amps that loved the genre than a "Chinese threat". I never held it against him, though I also never helped him much. Pretty much anything he was asking about could have been learned with a forum search most of the time. He just wanted the fastest, easiest path. Probably a relatively young guy.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

If you search KLD on eBay you will see a sh@t load of stuff. There are lots of different amp kits, even completed kit amps. Chassis and boards too.

Comment

Here’s one with a spring Reverb Fender style.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273936213607

Comment

Working...
                      X