Plain enamel age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plain enamel age?

Is it possible that my 20+ year old plain enamel wire has a shelf life? I’m really struggling to get it to stay tight on a old pickup rewind. I’m not having issues with winding poly but this enamel just wants to fall off the bobbin no matter how tight I wind it.?

enamel just wants to fall off the bobbin no matter how tight I wind it.
    Don't the bobbin flanges keep it from falling off?
    Maybe some pictures would help us tell what you are referring to?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

What’s a bobbin flange?

Comment

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Oh ok. Well it does keep the winding between them but will loosely start to fall off. I noticed this first as I set the spool down and it started to unravel?

Comment

here are a couple of pics and the spool of wire im using. I need to correct my statement that this is Formvar not enamal
            Attached Files

Comment

#1 That's not Plain Enamel.
              #2 Get your tension right, watch your side-to-side, and then maybe slow your roll a tad.

Comment

I would slow down your winding speed if that is possible . & do i see a loose wrap out near the edge in the pic ?
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I will try to slow it down. I really have never had an issue like this before? Definitely not with other types of wire. I would say I usually wind at half the speed of the winding videos like the mojo video. ? I wish I could count the rpm of my winder and compare to other winders

Comment

I will also hook up a guard to make sure Im inside the “flanges”

Comment

Do you guys have a favorite video that shows a “proper” wind?

Comment

If you do a search on youtube a bunch pop up.
                        Everyone does them a bit different, heres one, that's not too bad for hand winding.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhke5_KFF90
                        GL,
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
                          I wish I could count the rpm of my winder and compare to other winders
                          Count to 10 while spinning & notice how many turns go buy . I would try winding pickups below 1000 rpm .
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

May it’s the shutter rate on video but that still looks like he went faster than I do. But I did finally get it acceptable. Under further review, the bobbin itself was not very straight or even. Kind of lopsided. I’m sure this was partially my issue

Comment

Working...
                            X