1973 Grey fiber top strat pickup ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Grey fiber top strat pickup ?

Anyone ever had any experience with Fender Pickups with the Grey top fiber bobbins ,I've never seen one . I've seen them in older Tokai pickups but not Fender Brand have the Grey top but not a Fender pickup .
    Here is one for sale & I'm wondering if it's legit .
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Fender...-/152826942971
    http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayI...2&secureDesc=0
    The leads look like they were never soldered .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
    Anyone ever had any experience with Fender Pickups with the Grey top fiber bobbins ,I've never seen one . I've seen them in older Tokai pickups but not Fender Brand have the Grey top but not a Fender pickup .
    Here is one for sale & I'm wondering if it's legit .
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Fender...-/152826942971
    http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayI...2&secureDesc=0
    The leads look like they were never soldered .
    I've seen Mustang / Duo-Sonic pickups with grey top & bottom flatwork. I can't really remember about the Strat pickups. I've had plenty of grey & black bobbins, though. Fender used whatever was laying around so anything is possible.

Comment

Looks awful new?
      T
      **Like mentioned above, probably NOS unused!
      Fender used .062 grey fiber for some of the amp eyelet boards, they had it available?
      Last edited by big_teee; 05-16-2020, 07:28 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

That's Craig Brody's store. It may be a NOS never installed as replacement part - despite his claim that it came out of a 73 Strat. I think the price is a little high.....

cheers,
        Jack Briggs

sigpic
        www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

I've never seen a grey top (in 45 years being in the guitar making /repairing business) However the wire leads and the small hole on the baseplate look right. A side view would be good. A lot of fakes repros have laser cut or routed flatwork with smooth edges. All the Fender pickups I have seen have always had punched/stamped flatwork that has rough edges. If it's original I suppose the price ain't bad.
          However I just noticed the tinned ends as well, fishy!
          Cheers
          Andrew

Comment

I've got a grey bobbin Tele bridge pickup that Wolfe rewound for me years ago. I'd have to look and see if it is all grey or just a grey top as I don't remember.

Greg

Comment

I've seen plenty of grey P-bass flatwork from the 70s.

Comment

grey P-bass flatwork from the 70s
                P-bass is .092-.093 or so, for top and bottom.
                In the gray bottom era the strat pickup used the .062 black for the top fiber.
                Don't guess there was a lot of the .062 gray around in those days.
                They did use the .062 gray for some amp eyelet boards in a period in that era.
                Last edited by big_teee; 05-20-2020, 06:34 PM.
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

I did a '69 J-Bass bridge rewind last week. Both top and bottom were grey flatwork.
                  Take Care,

Jim. . .
                  VA3DEF

Comment

Working...
                  X