Tube works provalve 60 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube works provalve 60 help

I'm having channel switching issues with a provalve 60.
    I haven't been able to source a schematic, I have emailed bk butler sound and the tech hasn't been able to find it.
    someone has been in the amp before me and I'm not sure the right parts were used.
    So far I've changed a few opamps, and some resistors that were bad, where I'm stuck is with the jfets (j112) around the "tube master" control, when the channel is supposed to be on I have signal at the drain and negative voltage at the gate (closing drain to source) with the channel off there is no signal at the drain, and the gate is at 0v (open drain to source) this seems backwards to me, there is a j112 before and after the "tube master" control, I'm not sure if those are the wrong parts or I am missing positive bias somewhere.
    Without a schematic and never having messed with jfet zwitching is kind of frustrating.

maybe this will help

Click image for larger version

Name:	00.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	857772

Comment

As far as I know, BK Butler always used J112's for switching.
      Your matrix appears backwards.
      The J112 is an n channel jfet, meaning it is 'Normally On' until a Negative voltage is applied to the Gate lead.
      With the Gate at 0 Vdc the jfet is On.
      With the gate at -4 Vdc it should be all of the way Off.

Comment

That's the problem I'm having, the gain signal is at the jfets at the same time as the negative voltage, the clean channel works, I'll have to figure out the switching before this point, there is a channel switch and a combine channels switch, both spst that are ran to the back panel for the footswitch jack, not all of the wore locations are marked on the boards, the problem may lie there.

Comment

ok I have it running, it wasn't getting power to the 12ax7(bad resistor) and also it does not get powered when in standby like the rest of the preamp.
          Now the next problem is one of the power tubes red plates with any signal, the amp is running at 505v on the plates, cathode current on the tube that red plates is at 96ma (sovtek 6l6wxt+), the other is at 54ma(ehx 6l6eh).
          the currents follow the tubes if swapped so I'm pretty sure the amp is good.
          I guess the next step is to decide on a new set of power tubes that will last at that voltage, or try to get it dropped a bit.

Comment

Is it cathode biased?
            If not, is pin5 voltage the same on both power tubes? Pin4 voltage same on both?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

pin 3, 500v plate, pin 4, 495v screen, pin 5, -45 control, same reading on both tubes, from what I've found online it is a push pull setup, the bias is "set" by a diode, and there's an interstage transformer between the 2 piwer tubes, I'm waiting on a set of jj 6l6gc's to try in it, I'm not real familiar with this type of power stage

Click image for larger version

Name:	0000tw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	857816

Comment

Ok, I have the 2 new jj 6l6gc's in and the bias measured with a bias probe read around 110, this thing is fixed grid biased, it has an interstage? driver transformer connected to the grids, I'm guessing the bias is "set" by the 1n5261 which is a 47v zener
                readings were
                tube 1: cath 2 plate 550v
                cath 2 screen 544v
                cath 2 grid -47
                tube 2: cath 2 plate 547v
                cath 2 screen 543v
                cath 2 grid -47
                I'm guessing the grid needs to be closer to -60v, so I'll have to get some zeners and try to cool it down a bit.

Comment

Working...
                X