No announcement yet.

Ghost notes after filter cap change.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ironically (stupidly with hindsight) I let my bored son make my last pair of test leads into a capacitor drain tool for me so one end of each lead is now connected to a resistor and sealed in a block of silicone! Unfortunately all the new caps are in the amp, so I've still got to remove them all, so I might as well do that one cap at a time. Ho hum, and thanks for your reply.

Comment

For a long time the tolerance on can-type elecrolytics in the UK was +80/-20%. Measuring capacitance value doesn't mean much unless taken into consideration with other parameters.

Comment

Why the asymmetric tolerance? Because more capacitance isn't usually a problem? What are the other parameters?

Comment

Originally posted by greengriff View Post
          Why the asymmetric tolerance? Because more capacitance isn't usually a problem?
          Exaxtly that. More capacitance improves filtering, so no one would complain. But -30% or -50% might be insufficient. Also positive tolerance promises increased service life as capacitance tends to drop with operating hours.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-18-2020, 06:31 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X