Magnatone M15A Reverb Tank Mounting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnatone M15A Reverb Tank Mounting?

I'm ready to finish a long Magnatone M15A restoration, and I need to mount the new spring tank in the cabinet. This is a cabinet with an angled baffle between the amp and the speakers.

What I can't tell is how Magnatone originally mounted the spring tank. There are no screw holes in the cabinet. The old tank was just lying in the angle of the baffle and has some foam tape attached to it.

Has anyone seen one of these in original condition?

Magnatone M15A Restoration & Reverb Tank location

Originally posted by Rhodesplyr View Post
    I'm ready to finish a long Magnatone M15A restoration, and I need to mount the new spring tank in the cabinet. This is a cabinet with an angled baffle between the amp and the speakers.

What I can't tell is how Magnatone originally mounted the spring tank. There are no screw holes in the cabinet. The old tank was just lying in the angle of the baffle and has some foam tape attached to it.

Has anyone seen one of these in original condition?
    Yes. I restored one back in 2013, I think it was. The tank was mounted on the rear wall, down deep, as seen in the photo attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker_Cabinet-5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	857783 Click image for larger version

Name:	M15 Lit-logo-4.jpg
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	857784 Click image for larger version

Name:	M15 Lit-logo-2.jpg
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	857785 Click image for larger version

Name:	M15 Lit-logo-3.jpg
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	857786 Click image for larger version

Name:	M15-Front-1.jpg
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	857787 Click image for larger version

Name:	M15-Rear-3.jpg
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	857788 Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Supply Revised-5.jpg
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	857789 Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp_Housing_Mtg_Frames.jpg
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	857790 Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker_Cabinet_Revised-1.jpg
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	857791

This amp had a cracked top housing, was missing one of the cast frames, and, didn't work. I had to mix up boat epoxy resin to restore the cast plastic top housing to make those repairs, then repainted it. The Control Panel Escutcheon was warped, and had to be straightened, after peeling it away from the top housing. Rebuilt the power supply and fitted it with an IEC AC Mains connector. Fun project. When I was finally thru with it, it was dead quiet and sounded wonderful.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Many thanks for posting all the photos! It's a big help.

I also mounted an IEC socket. This one had had mice in it and required a lot of corrosion-related contact cleaning.

I lowered background hum by cleaning up the heater wiring dress. It also had a ticking problem with the bug used for Reverb Echo, which is kind of a cool effect. A replacement Fender-style bug cured it.

Did it have any polyfill damping behind the speakers, or was that your tweak?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodesplyr View Post
        Many thanks for posting all the photos! It's a big help.

I also mounted an IEC socket. This one had had mice in it and required a lot of corrosion-related contact cleaning.

I lowered background hum by cleaning up the heater wiring dress. It also had a ticking problem with the bug used for Reverb Echo, which is kind of a cool effect. A replacement Fender-style bug cured it.

Did it have any polyfill damping behind the speakers, or was that your tweak?
        I don't recall if there was polyfill damping. If there was, I had removed it and tossed it out. What's shown in that one photo was what I had added. Normally, I'd be using fiberglass, but didn't have any on hand.
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
        X