Thread: Behringer ADA8000 transfomer

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

Behringer ADA8000 transfomer

Hi,

I have a Berhinger ADA8000 that the mains transformer has burned out. Anybody knows where I can get a replacement? I read some threads and seems that it's a common problem with these units.

Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 787/1
    Given: 1,926/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Davebassman View Post
    Hi,

I have a Berhinger ADA8000 that the mains transformer has burned out. Anybody knows where I can get a replacement? I read some threads and seems that it's a common problem with these units.

Thanks.
    I've never seen the insides of one of these, so I don't know the form factor (Toroid, UI-style flat-pack xfmr, etc), but, looking thru their user manual, a few things are noted: Universal Primary, though 120V primary would suffice if you're in the US. 48V Phantom Supply, so you'll need one secondary to produce that voltage. Digital circuits, so either running off of 5VDC or 12VDC. Analog circuits, so probably you'll need +/-15V supplies, so add another secondary with C/T to create that. I know Behringer doesn't support their products with regards to offering replacement parts, so you're sort of on your own to find a replacement xfmr that would fit the unit. That might not be so easy, seeing there's three secondary windings req'd. You'd do better by finding another ADA8000 that doesn't work, and find out if it blows fuses or not. How many other products Behringer has made that use the same xfmr is another way to go. Usually in manufacturing, they like to make use of common power xfmrs in as many products as possible, rather than have unique xfmrs produced for EVERY product. Good luck on the hunt.

Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,695/2
    Given: 1,220/1
    What's wrong with the transformer? Is it an open primary? If so, I believe this transformer has a center tapped primary for use with either 110V or 220V. You could try wiring the other half of the primary. It would only require moving one wire. This assumes you are in the US on 110-120V. If you updated your profile with your location, we'd know (hint).

Edit: Also check that something isn't shorted on the secondary before you fire it up again. If there is, you may just take out another transformer.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The Dude; 05-21-2020 at 01:23 AM.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,545/7
    This is a one-space rack thing, an Ultra-something. I was about to write some wrong stuff, then I found the drawing. There is a center tapped winding rectified and regulated to 15v rails with 7815/7915. From the same DC source there are also a pair of 7816/7916 ( I've never seen those) making what they call 17v rails.

There is a simple winding for +5. The raw DC feeds three separate 7805 Vregs. Three separate +5 rails.

There is a simple winding for +48. It is rather complex supply, but no doubling going on.

Pretty sure its a toroid.

Behringer schematics never include the transformer or mains wiring.

I have a couple other Behr rack items, but they do not have similar power supply. So I have no sacrificial parts.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Yes, it's a toroidal. I've found a new transformer for 39€. I think it is worth buying.

Thread Information