Mystery Neutrik Connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Neutrik Connector

Has anyone seen this type before? Model No. NP2RCS. I can't see how to connect the shield/ground wire. There is no solder lug and the body is aluminum.
    I can't find the exact datasheet, looked at the Patent, still no clue. I have a few of these new in the package. Had them for years and don't remember where I got them.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1590622322

I guess I could drill and tap a hole for a lug, but I'm just curious.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dmeek; 05-27-2020, 11:45 PM.

I see a slot in the inner sleeve. Is it possible that the ground wire goes through that and makes it's connection by just getting sandwiched in the threads of the cap that screws on?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Or maybe the shield is folded over the end of the sleeve and is pushed against the body when the cap is tightened. I wouldn't trust that connection though.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1590624764
      Attached Files

Comment

It's supposed to be nickel, not aluminum. Have you tried soldering to it?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I can't solder to it. I think it's cast aluminum. It's fairly light weight. The barrel and tip are probably nickel plated same as any phone plug

Comment

The shell is supposed to be nickel or nickel plated, not that it necessarily means you can solder to it.
            Attached is datasheet for it and for it's updated version. The newer x style has a tab. The older rcs type I could not find an assembly sheet for.
            Attached Files
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The 2rcs is supposed to have a little tab, like the rx. Where the rx has it below the tip connection, the rcs is supposed to have it to the left of the tip connection.
              He mentions it in the comments section of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vDIW544G8Y

Comment

I can confirm that the 2 RCS plugs have NO solderable ground lugs/tabs (at least the two I once bought). The body is a single massive piece of metal (probably nickel plated cast zinc). It doesn't take soldering, tried different spots and extra flux. So I never used them. Also don't like the non-conductive plastic cap, which prevents complete shielding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0322.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	666.5 KB
ID:	857859

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	791.1 KB
ID:	857860
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-28-2020, 05:19 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

It's possible there was a manufacturing error and some were shipped around the world before it was discovered. I didn't buy mine from a dealer. I got them from a junk store or Ham Radio fleamarket or wherever.
                  Agree about the plastic cover, though they would be OK for speaker cables.

Comment

though they would be OK for speaker cables.
                    Yes, that's what I originally bought them for. But with high speaker currents I wouldn't want to rely on some press fit grounding.
                    So they are useless.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by dmeek View Post
                      It's possible there was a manufacturing error and some were shipped around the world before it was discovered.
                      That's what I think too. I'm guessing maybe the rejects were liquidated and ended up on the market rather than being destroyed. In the video (post #7) you can make out the little tab he solders the shield to.

Comment

Working...
                      X