Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone heard of this old mod? Some Marshall/ Vox bark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone heard of this old mod? Some Marshall/ Vox bark?

Click image for larger version

Name:	84258B9A-C17A-4E97-B509-BF892FBBD632.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	876700Click image for larger version

Name:	68B19D7E-AF32-4FDD-B66F-155273CF9B02.jpeg
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	876701Click image for larger version

Name:	5BB17288-819A-45B1-BD0B-DEA34D61895F.jpeg
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	876702Click image for larger version

Name:	A53F88F3-C04B-4693-80F3-A889FC32DCFB.jpeg
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	876703

Can someone please explain what I should be gaining (hopefully gain?)by performing this mod? Should I be shocked by the amount of British gain I would be receiving? I have wrote down my voltages and made a schematic ( sorry for the hand drawing). Tell me what you think. Should I be getting more gain? What was the reason for using V5? Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	4175FB40-A34A-48DA-A1AC-B930BADCED4B.jpeg
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	876704

1) How many Kendrick amps do you see around or even hear about?

2) Gerald Weber has a long history selling snake oil.

3) Anyone who promotes their mod by explaining it to you rather than providing a proper schematic (not a modified layout) believes that the only people they can sell this to don't know anything about electronics. That is, "amp mod paint by numbers for dummies".

4) Marshall amps sound different from Fender amps for a lot of reasons not even related to the preamp. Adding a gain stage to a Fender amp, no matter how it's voiced, will not make it sound like a Marshall. Or even Marshall-y.

The mod should indeed provide more gain though. If that's all you're interested in. But I see no reason to rape the trem circuit. Torres has a slightly better reputation than Weber in the amp nerd circles and he pretty much specializes in hot rodding Fender circuits. Whatever else anybody says about Dan Torres, his circuits typically sound good. And he has several mods for increasing gain using the normal channel that don't include defuncting the trem circuit. I'd look into those before I'd implement this mod.

JM2C
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

^^^^^^That. Plus,...... it would help to know what amp we're modding. And FWIW, if I were adding a gain stage for the purpose of overdrive, I'd want a gain control. At a quick glance, I don't see that there.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yes to all, it’s super reverb kit from mojo. I don’t use the Trem. I thought it would worth modding seeing that I do not use normal channel? I was curious. It’s a more of experiment. I even changed the load plate resistor of v1a to 220k. Not really getting that wow experience yet?
        Any ideas to spice this up?

Comment

There is also the cascaded inputs idea, you have an unused channel that you can put to use.
          Like Boogie MKI or 2203 JCM800.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yep. The old "One Wire" cascade mod.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Ken Fischer (a guy that's generally considered to have an ear for tone ) has said that the best place to put an extra gain stage in a Marshall type amp (which would include a Bassman type amp?) is in front of the preamp. While the best place to put an extra gain stage in a BF Fender type amp is at the end of the preamp (this considering the "normal" channel). And if you look at a Trainwreck amp you'll see that the extra gain stage follows the preamp and is placed behind the phase inverter. Most players don't have a problem with the tone of Trainwreck amps. That said...

My own amp designs include one that's very similar to the TW/BF Fender with the extra stage ideology. I designed this amp long before anyone knew the TW circuit though and I make it a point to say so every chance I get for fear of being accused of copying the TW circuit. Anyway, I have some experience with this topography. Gain isn't a problem. You can have pretty much all you want. Even bordering on metal tones for harmonics and gain level. But your EQ is rendered useless as an EQ and becomes a 'distortion character' circuit instead. You see, with the BF Fender topology the EQ is set early in the preamp before any overdriven gain stages. By the time the overdriven signal gets to the speaker any adjustment to TMB has been frappe'd to mush. So the only EQ control in the system becomes your OT, speaker/s and the cabinet. This actually works out remarkably well if you are using decent speakers and cabinets because we generally want a flatter, more balanced EQ for overdriven tones.

And incidentally, crunchy, hard rock tones are eminently achievable with this topography. I dare not say "Marshall". But way more so than stacking a gain stage with the ubiquitous .68 cathode bypass cap into a BF Fender preamp.

And, incidentally, this Weber mod seems to ignore the loading of the shared cathode resistor by two triodes. In order to achieve the actual frequency response of the Marshall 2.7k/.68uf cathode bypass circuit in a shared stage you would have to use a 1.35k cathode resistor and a 1.36uf capacitor. And this would seriously foul the tone of the "vibrato" channel. This Weber mod is an uneducated hack that tries to insert Marshall tone into a Fender amp by implementing Marshall amp circuit values arbitrarily. I wouldn't even consider it. The "right" circuit values for a given frequency response always have to be calculated based on circuit specifics. You can't just cut and paste component values into a design based on their provenance from a completely different circuit.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

You could also use this old school 80´s mod without butchering your precious amp https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...a-super-reverb

Comment

That’s the spirit I am looking for. Thanks Zouto
                  I guess, I was looking for an explanation of this Brit mod. It seemed to be a lot of work to get little bark. Lol
                  Your mod would get results with a lot less hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    Yep. The old "One Wire" cascade mod.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                    X