Best Bench Light For Audio Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bench Light For Audio Repair

I'm hard on my desk lighting...both the magnifier and the can lights are those articulating metal contraptions with springs. I'm always bending and pulling and twisting it's no wonder they don't stay in one place. What is it, do the springs give out? No replacement springs means buying another set of lamps. Crazy. Is there a way to fix the old lamps or are the led style a better way to go?

Sometimes the spring can be shortened a little to give more tension and a coil bent over to form a new loop There are lots of cheap models around, but I still see Luxo models that have endured years of lab or workshop use and they're still good. I would certainly buy a Luxo if I was in the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
      Sometimes the spring can be shortened a little to give more tension and a coil bent over to form a new loop There are lots of cheap models around, but I still see Luxo models that have endured years of lab or workshop use and they're still good. I would certainly buy a Luxo if I was in the market.
      I ended up modifying a headlamp and mounted it on my magnifying visor. I can adjust the tilt on it and it works better than an adjustable work light in many instances.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B36C968B-31F2-4FC9-8741-134D824052CC.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	857896
      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I've had the same spring loaded Taiwanese made overhead bench lamp for maybe 25 years. It doesn't have a magnifier, tho. I put a big LED bulb in it a couple of years ago, and it is still going strong.
        It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Overall good lighting is, of course, essential at the benches and shop space where things are taken apart. I gave up on the Luxo circular florescent Magnifier Lamp as the bloody thing's mechanics ain't like setting proper Gripware or mic stand booms. I moved to surgical headlights years ago, and when I have some funds to spend again, will pursue some of the very slick high efficiency head lights, as the 250W Halogen replacement bulbs for the fiber optic headlights are bloody expensive.

There was a good thread on this topic about 6 months or so ago.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...bench+lighting
          Last edited by nevetslab; 06-05-2020, 03:26 AM.
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	314.6 KB ID:	906809 I just bought a Boruit RJ-5000 (also listed as a 3x-XM-L2 3-lamp Headlight, battery powered via a pair of rechargeable 3.7V/4000mAhr batteries, which uses a soft headband/overhead strap. I haven't yet adjusted the straps to fit my head. I'm used to the traditional Luxtec head light headware, so I'll have to report back on this soft-strap contraption. The light output is 5000 lumens (yet to verify that with my light meter), and it is far brighter than my surgical fiber optic headlight. Quite inexpensive......paid $23.99 via Amazon, free shipping.

Boruit 3X-XM-L2 Specs.pdf
            Attached Files
            Last edited by nevetslab; 06-10-2020, 06:08 AM.

Comment

It seems this new Forum format is totally different from what I saw yesterday. Already I feel like I'm missing the latest posts from all the forum categories, which is usually where I start to see what activity is going on. Was that 'Latest Activity'?

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                It seems this new Forum format is totally different from what I saw yesterday. Already I feel like I'm missing the latest posts from all the forum categories, which is usually where I start to see what activity is going on. Was that 'Latest Activity'?
                Try 'new topics'
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Name:	t28791-c1d609312dc590c29b93205375dedcea.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	906867Grizzly currently has these on sale for $14, with 11 magnification levels
                  https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...gnifier/T28791

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post

Name:	t28791-c1d609312dc590c29b93205375dedcea.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	906867Grizzly currently has these on sale for $14, with 11 magnification levels
                    https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...gnifier/T28791
                    the reason I mounted my own light was every one I tried, or looked at (a couple fo years ago), the light was next to useless. Total afterthought.
                    I'm going to check out this one and see if they give specs on the output and view angle.
                    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post

the reason I mounted my own light was every one I tried, or looked at (a couple fo years ago), the light was next to useless. Total afterthought.
                      I'm going to check out this one and see if they give specs on the output and view angle.
                      Running on 3 AAA, I don't think they will be CREE led's, as in post #6 above. Looks like the light angle may be adjustable though.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                      X