Behringer X2442USB - Too Many Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer X2442USB - Too Many Screws

Well, I've done it again. I have a Behringer X2442USB mixer that had a loud hum, which suggests the power supply. After I took it apart, I discovered that the 1000uf and 470uf caps were bad (bulging). Since I didn't have them in stock, I ordered them and received them four days later. Changing the caps solved the problem. Now the problem is, I have 8 screws left over. Normally I take pictures to remind me which screw goes where. I thought it would be obvious since there are only two thread sizes, and some are painted black. I have eight screws for which I can't find a place to install. See below.

I haven't screwed up like this in years. The next time I take a Mackie or Behringer mixer apart, I'm going to do it in front of a video camera. If you know where these flat head screws go or where a service or parts diagram is for this mixer, please share. The repair was pretty trivial, but the reassembly is not.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3738.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	876711
    Last edited by patlaw; 06-04-2020, 09:41 PM.

I used to use 35mm film cans, but who has those anymore? Now I use pill vials - I take lots of meds. When I take something apart, I stash each type of screw in its own jar. BY type, I don't mean I gather all same screws into one. If there are 8 screws on the bottom panel, one jar. If there is an internal sheild, fourt screws in another vial.

XLR screws? all into one. If there are also a bunch of 1/4 jacks, I might mix the XLRs with the nuts and washers. ANother vial gets the front panel screws. Behringer end panel screws, another vial.

I also have saved a bunch of the small tubes from soft cream cheese or margerine. I stack them for something I expect to put right back together. First tube gets the bottom scftews, stack another for the next subassembly screws, then stack another etc.

Leftovers? SOmething didn't get screws. Internal shields? Maybe no all the subassembly mounting screws got returned. If ther are no open holes visible, then it is inside.

Those flat screws look like something finished for exterior, but since the threads are all alike, you may have put round nead screws in their place on the outside.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Wow. I thought I might be the only one who was that anal. I do that, too (put screws for one piece in separate containers based on where they go). A little extra sorting in disassembly makes reassembly much easier. I also install screws wherever they are missing. I'm a little OCD that way. I can't send something out of the shop missing screws.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        I used to use 35mm film cans, but who has those anymore? Now I use pill vials - I take lots of meds. When I take something apart, I stash each type of screw in its own jar. BY type, I don't mean I gather all same screws into one. If there are 8 screws on the bottom panel, one jar. If there is an internal sheild, fourt screws in another vial.

XLR screws? all into one. If there are also a bunch of 1/4 jacks, I might mix the XLRs with the nuts and washers. ANother vial gets the front panel screws. Behringer end panel screws, another vial.

I also have saved a bunch of the small tubes from soft cream cheese or margerine. I stack them for something I expect to put right back together. First tube gets the bottom scftews, stack another for the next subassembly screws, then stack another etc.

Leftovers? SOmething didn't get screws. Internal shields? Maybe no all the subassembly mounting screws got returned. If ther are no open holes visible, then it is inside.

Those flat screws look like something finished for exterior, but since the threads are all alike, you may have put round nead screws in their place on the outside.
        They were all separated into tiny containers I got from the dollar store. This system normally works, but the four-day delay (with a million things intervening during that time) created a major brain fart. The non-black screws were definitely returned the their correct places (power supply board and transistor mounting). With the flat head screws being black, they certainly should be on the outside, but I can't find where they go.

Comment

I am definitely anal, my wife calls me an asshole all the time.

I doubt there will be open holes now. Look for screws on some one purpose and there are eight of them. I'd wager that is where your flat head screws go. That of course leaves you with eight loose other shape screws.

SOmetimes screws get invisible to me, and out in the middle of the thousand knobs, I often overlook a hole or two.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Did you maybe forget to put rack rails on? Maybe laying off to the side somewhere?

Comment

I feel you!

I OCD by using yogurt cups of this size:

They stack nicely. As I remove one layer of fasteners of the same type, I drop them in a cup, then stack the cups as I go. Last in, first out!
              --
              I build and repair guitar amps
              http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                Did you maybe forget to put rack rails on? Maybe laying off to the side somewhere?
                Nope. They're larger screws.

I'm going to take it apart again. This is ridiculous.

Comment

OK, "They're larger screws". Are they 10/32's? Was the thing in a rack when it came in and needs to be put back in the rack? Sorry for the silly questions, but sometimes we forget the most obvious things.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    OK, "They're larger screws". Are they 10/32's? Was the thing in a rack when it came in and needs to be put back in the rack? Sorry for the silly questions, but sometimes we forget the most obvious things.
                    No. They're larger as in 4mm or 5mm.

Comment

SOmetimes there are screws hidden under the plastic end caps.

Not 10-32, but maybe M3 or M4. M5 even.

Xtian, those yogurt cups look like they'd work, but I think they work better if you open them and eat the yogurt first.

Comment

Hey, this heat sink compound tastes pretty good!

Comment

Meh. I just totally filleted a Hammond keyboard, using a similar screw container method. Once I got it repaired, and put back together I had one lone screw with no home. I couldn't find a hole on the outside for it, so in my misc bin it went. One screw isn't really going to make much, if any difference at all. I spent almost 8 hours on this job, and only charged for half of that, I'll be damned if I'm opening it up again to replace a lone screw.
                          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

One screw will make a difference if it's connecting the green AC wire to chassis.
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I can think of a number of Crate amps where one of the corner screws on the main circuit board is its ground connection to chassis.

Comment

Working...
                              X