axial and radial electrolytics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axial and radial electrolytics

What's the difference between axial and radial electrolytic capacitors? In quality I mean. 2nd ones are cheaper (same brand and characteristics)

If anything, the radial type will be better. They're the preferred type for modern designs, so there's more development effort and more competition. The axial ones are a hangover from the vacuum tube days.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

But axial are easier to replace on eyelet boards & the like, where you may not have easy access to the back of the board.

Comment

I am sure pretty much all of us have taken a radial cap, spread the wires out flat either way like a dancer doing the splits, and soldered it in place of an axial we didn't have.

Otto, I don't think any differences you hear in caps are due to which end the wires came out. SOme styles are cheaper because they sell more of them. Left handed guitars cost more than right handed ones, even if they are otherwise identical, for this same reason. I wouldn't look at the price as a quality indicator. Sure some 18 cent Taiwan cap might not be as nice a cap as the $2.29 Mallory, but that is not because one is radial. If you are talking a few cents difference each, that is nothing.

If you use quality parts, you will be fine whichever shape you buy. They come in both versions for convenience of design. Get the ones that make the most sense in your amp.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I had this doubt because one type costs less than half the other one, same brand. All clear now, thanks.

Comment

Another question about electrolytic caps: as cathode bypass is there much difference between audio and generic caps of the same brand?

Comment

Working...
            X