Tube sockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube sockets

Guess this is as good a place as any to post this so here goes...
    I HAD a metric shitload of heavy duty mil-spec sockets I scored off of Ned Carlson years ago, and those were what I was using in my production amps but that stock is pretty much depleted now and I need some high quality octal sockets badly!

I've auditioned a few different versions from the main suppliers but they all feel like pure junk in comparison to what I've been using. So my question is, what sort of experience do some of you have with what's available and can anybody make any recommendations?

-Carl

Originally posted by CarlZ View Post
    I've auditioned a few different versions from the main suppliers but they all feel like pure junk in comparison to what I've been using.
    "AUDITIONED"?
    You mean that you actually "listened" to some sockets of some sort?

Comment

as far as new production how about the Beltons (S.Korea made?), or the ceramic ones used by Komet (Yamaichi??), Omron (black phenolic), QQQ(ditto). The ceramic ones (sold at Angela and elsewhere) and the QQQ have sort of "C" shaped contacts, the Omron "pincer" contacts like McMurdo. Looking at a chassis pic, it appeared that a THD Uni or Bi-Valve was using either a QQQ or Omron. The metal ring on the Omron is thicker than the aforementioned ceramic socket and the mold between the socket and the ring is extremely solid (better than the McMurdo--good in that it's not likey to fall out but worse in that it passes vibration to the tube better). I guess the downside on the QQQ and Omron are that they aren't as good as insulators (but I suppose you could argue that most tube bases aren't ceramic either). Plus is the Omron and QQQ seem pretty inexpensive (the ceramic one has gone up and up--on one vendor site a reason was listed as rising Talc prices). I've seen Swiss Schurter (blk phenolic body) octals with gold plated contacts that looked real nice but not sure if they are in production.

Comment

I've seen some pics of the Belton sockets. They appear to be a close substitute for the McMurdo sockets. I'm completely unfamiliar with the Omron or the QQQ sockets that you're talking about...unless I've seen them and just don't realize it. Have you got a link to these where I might be able to get a peek at, and pricing on them?

As for rising prices, with the dollar approaching 40c against the euro last time I looked, expect prices stateside to get worse before the get better. But that's a discussion for a different board.

-Carl

Comment

I bought some Amphenols and they seem solidly made :

http://store.triodestore.com/77-mip-8.html

Paul P

Comment

Originally posted by CarlZ View Post
            I've seen some pics of the Belton sockets. They appear to be a close substitute for the McMurdo sockets. I'm completely unfamiliar with the Omron or the QQQ sockets that you're talking about...unless I've seen them and just don't realize it. Have you got a link to these where I might be able to get a peek at, and pricing on them?

As for rising prices, with the dollar approaching 40c against the euro last time I looked, expect prices stateside to get worse before the get better. But that's a discussion for a different board.

-Carl
            The devalued dollar thing is scary.... about 50% of my last sales have been out of the country due to that and it is costing me more and more for parts and shipping too... weird.
            Anyhow...
            I use the Belton sockets now from MOJO... see attachment.
            The downside is that the hole punch needs to be about 1/16" larger then the standard plastic or ceramic types used over the last few years.
            http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/ite...613&id=4050001
            Attached Files
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Omron socket pic (from Apex Jr.) :

http://www.apexjr.com/images/OmronSocket.jpg

I'm not 100% sure if the Univalve uses an Omron but it looked similar (check out the attached pic). (I don't quite remember if I've seen a pic of the tube inserting side on the THD.)

how about this (also from Apex Jr.)?

http://www.apexjr.com/images/8PINOCTAL4.jpg

looks like a quality American or perhaps UK socket and only a buck ea.
              Attached Files

Comment

Belton makes a good socket. Very tight but the tabs are somewhat brittle as a result. (Don't try to bend them.)

Ohmron is also good, basically a copy of the Amphenol, and the solder tabs are more forgiving than the Beltons. I also like the "splayed" tabs as they're easier to solder to.

If you can get a reliable supply for the Amphenols, they're my favorites. You might check with TriodeElectronics to see how many they have in stock. I'm not sure if they're ROHS compliant, though.

The Azuma octals that Komet uses are available from PartsConnexion. They're about the same price as Amphenols and are VERY nice sockets.

Comment

Working...
                X