quick question about a hammond 372bx in a 5e3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question about a hammond 372bx in a 5e3

I just bough a 372bx hammond and a 125e for a 5e3 project, the 372bx has a 5v tap with the yellow wires and then has a central tap wire for that tap which is yellow/black... My question is, when wiring the filaments of tubes for the amp, the yellow/black wire is not used, so should I connect it to the ground with the rest of the center taps or tape it???

thanks for the help

Best regards

Originally posted by riscado View Post
    I just bough a 372bx hammond and a 125e for a 5e3 project, the 372bx has a 5v tap with the yellow wires and then has a central tap wire for that tap which is yellow/black... My question is, when wiring the filaments of tubes for the amp, the yellow/black wire is not used, so should I connect it to the ground with the rest of the center taps or tape it???

thanks for the help

Best regards
    Whatever you do, don't connect the CT of the 5V winding to ground, there is B+ potential on it!

If you decide not to use it, insulate it and tuck it out of the way somewhere in the chassis.

You can use the CT of the 5V winding.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/deluxe_5e3_schem.gif

The B+ is taken off one of the filament pins of the 5Y3 in the above schematic. To use the 5V CT, hook up the yellow wires to the filament of the 5Y3 as normal, but connect the 5V CT to the center tap of the output transformer and the 16uF cap as shown in the schematic.

HTH,

steve

Comment

I guess I'll leave it out of the equation then... thanks steve

Another question I have is about the ground connections, I'm connecting the 6,3 volts center tap and the 300V center tap to the chassis, but now I'm unsure of wether to do a buss or a star ground... I'm also not sure of how to do them...

any ideas? I've read aiken amps information, but it got me a little confused to be honest...

thanks

Comment

Don't leave it out, use it. There is NO reason what so ever to avoid using it.
        This way all you do is connect the two 5v leads to the recitifier and the 5v center tap lead to the first filter cap or standby switch if you so desire.
        Nothing could be more simple.

Bruce
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

ok bruce I'll do it...

could you also give me a hand with the ground question, which should I use buss or star?

I'm very very uncertain of how to phisically connect grounds in the amp... never done this before...

Comment

Working...
          X