• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ discussion

Despite momentary fits of industriousness,
    I recover my usual sloth-like lethargy.

Until then, I wonder if we should make a FAQ
    or a pickup makers' resource page in the guise of a "sticky" thread.

In my perfervid imagination, it might start small with some lists:
    1. Wire Vendors
    2. Magnet Vendors
    3. Parts Vendors
    4. Technical References

We would collaborate and make it up as we go since
    it has to serve _our_ needs. It would be nothing so formal
    or big as a Wiki, just something small that scratches an itch
    and makes things a little easier for people to learn the ropes.

-drh
    He who moderates least moderates best.

Sounds like a good idea! It would probably benefit the seasoned pros as well as the newbies.
    -Stan
    ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
    Stan Hinesley Pickups
    FaceBook

Comment

FAC sticky is a great idea but can't be edited easily.

I started a bass pickup wiki on my website with all this sort of info. I've been meaning to register a separate domain name for it like pickupedia.com but that's probably too obscure. Email me and I'll send you a link if you want to check it out. I'd rather not post it publicly here because some miscreant could easily destroy what's there in second.

It's got descriptions and links to every bass pickup winder I can think of and someday they can edit their pages and post up all their models and what they are supposed to do for you. It's not focussed on DIY per se but the info for that could all be added along with a whole guitar pickup wing.

Comment

Piki Wiki?

Originally posted by David King
        I already started a bass pickup wiki on my website with all this sort of info. I've been meaning to register a separate domain name for it like pickupedia.com but that's probably too obscure. Email me and I'll send you a link if you want to check it out. I'd rather not post it publicly here because some miscreant could easily destroy what's there in second.
        Love to see it, David.
        Send me the link in forum-local email by clicking on my name.

We can discuss the pros&cons of using the
        Music Electronics Forum vs. a Wiki later.

"Whatever works" is okay by me.

-drh

Comment

I'd think that a wiki of some sort might be more useful than an FAQ consisting of a collection of threads - better to have a communally edited set of entries vs the typical back and forth that we see in many threads here. Relying on shmucks like me to self-edit any misinformation we put up would likely be a frequent point of failure.

Either would be great to have, just think a wiki would be better.

Comment

Unfortunately someone picked up pickupedia. http://www.nerve.com/pickupedia/ it's a place for pickup lines.. things you'd say to the opposite sex in a bar. pretty sad.

Comment

I've actually been planning to offer a wiki for the group; just hadn't got around to it yet. The .com, .net and even .org are already taken, but .info was on sale for $2.99, so I nabbed it and installed the software from MediaWiki.

We can always change the name later if a better one comes to light, but for now I am pleased to present pickupedia.info.
              -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

What's in a name?

As for Nerve.com, those people are scary.
                Over there, you feel like the prey to predator ratio isn't in your favor.

In the merits of Wiki vs. static list,
                A wiki is more maintenance but allows many people to contribute their
                subliterate drivel (COUGH!)...er, I meant to say: deathless prose more
                easily than with a static list.

A static list is almost zero maintenance.
                Perhaps the static list is best for a short quick reference?

-drh

Comment

Bux to tBoy?

Originally posted by tboy
                  ... but for now I am pleased to present pickupedia.info.
                  Paypal, like, 5ux0rZ, d0oD.
                  Do you take VISA contributions?

-drh

Comment

Tboy that's great, Thankx! Dya think we could migrate some of my phpwiki material into mediawiki or is that asking for trouble?

We could still do a short sticky FAQ page here and link to the wiki.

Comment

Thanks Tboy

Comment

HowTo Wiki?

Originally posted by David King
                        Thankx! Dya think we could migrate some of my phpwiki material into mediawiki or is that asking for trouble?
                        I'm sure we can (and will); ya gotta prime the pump.

I'm ignorant of how to put content into a Wiki and help with its administration,
                        and may not be suited for it beyond mentioning the idea that people here
                        have wanted a FAQ/database for a long time.

We will eventually need to decide who (plural) gets final say on the
                        content because there are always a small few people who will game
                        or vandalize the system. Attempts by republican congressional staffers
                        to rewrite history in Wikipedia is a matter of historical record.

We could still do a short sticky FAQ page here and link to the wiki.
                        Yes. A quick reference page always helps.

-drh

Comment

So what's the plan?
                          I can understand it being used to list parts supplies even though they seem to be subject to change at a moment's notice, but could we also use it to give people an idea of what pickup makers there are and a little history on them etc...?
                          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

We don't got no steenkin' plan!

Originally posted by Spence
                            So what's the plan?
                            I can understand it being used to list parts supplies even though they seem to be subject to change at a moment's notice, but could we also use it to give people an idea of what pickup makers there are and a little history on them etc...?
                            I think two questions should be answered by having a sticky thread and a Wiki:
                            • What good is a sticky thread on the pickup makers forum?
                            • What good is a pickup makers Wiki?

For me, I see the Sticky Thread and the Pickup Wiki
                            as info I would like to have had when I first got interested
                            in guitar pickups.

Frankly, I don't see myself as a significant contributor of new
                            information on pickups, but I can help a lot with technical background.

We should create original content in the Wiki so as to avoid bullshit
                            copyright threats and DMCA takedown notices from litigious dickheads.

Our Wiki should have an entry on sheep-shagging, too.

The first thing we do, we need to figure out how to create topics in the Wiki.

-drh

Comment

Sheep shagging? Did someone call my name...........?
                              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Working...
                              X