Blowing fuses...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing fuses...

With the amp powered off, If I put the plug in the house ac outlet, the electric board of the house instalation imediatly goes off without me even turning the amp on and the fuse also blows with out the amp being switched on...

any ideas?

You have a short somewhere in your ac line.If it is blowing the house breaker before you turn the switch on it has to be between the plug and the PT primary,probably after the fuse in the amp if that is blowing with the switch off,unless your switch is not actually off when in the off position.

Comment

I did tests to the power transformer, it's ok, and there is no short between the ac line, it only happens in my room, when I go to the garage the amp works fine.

any ideas?

Comment

Riscado,

Perhaps the house outlet is wired wrong. I have seen this so it isn't impossible.

Does the house breaker trip when you plug your amp in without a fuse in the amp? That could give us a hint about some of the places not to look for the problem. I COULD be a bad cord on the amp and an improperly wired outlet. Especiallty if it works in the garage and not the house. Have you checked the cord? Have you tried other outlets in the house? I once got a cord set that didn't have the wires going to the correct colors of wire on the other end. It can happen and it can bite you! I always check cord sets since that experience.

BTW, where are you? Or more to the point. North America where the house voltage is 120 or somewhere else where the wiring is not 120?

HTH,

AC

Comment

Hi i'm in portugal, we have 240 volts over here, the breaker does not go off without a fuse in the amp, only when there is fuse connected...

this is very weird...

Comment

Maybe the breaker in the garage has a higher amp rating than the one that is tripping in the other location?Does the breaker in your room trip if you plug something else in that outlet?If not it would not be the outlet.I dont think it is the PT primary because it happens with the switch off.That would narrow it down to the power cord,unless the switch is not functioning and is really on when in the off position.If you are sure the switch is working properly it has to be in the cord,and since the fuse is popping with the switch off I would suspect a short on the amp side of the fuse.I am not familiar with the 240v Euro systems but here in the USA a breaker on a wall outlet is usually 20amp(15amp minimum).Thats a lot of amps there has to be a major short in that power cord,you should see some arcing when it trips.Try plugging it in with the chassis out of the cab and watch for arcing where the power cord is connected.Check where the cord enters the chassis maybe the insulation is broken and the wire is touching the chassis.You are definately drawing a lot of amps to trip the house breaker,I would not plug the amp in in the garage till you find out for sure what is shorted.

Comment

will do I have to find that short, if it is there.... thanks

btw my house breaker is a 15A...

Comment

It's been fixed it was a bad carling switch that was shorting directly to the ground when it was in switched off position...

thanks for your help I'll post pictures soon

Comment

Working...
                X