I've got a Guild 302 bass here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a Guild 302 bass here.

It's got pickups that sound good, anyone want me to take them apart for measurements?

If you'd like too! (you know I'm looking for ideas)

Comment

I remember those... they were made like P bass coils, but single coil like a Jazz pickup. They were nice sounding basses.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

That's what I find funny about this place. "I've got a pickup that sounds good. Let's rip it apart!"
        www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Well there were so many layers of tape on the coils I just couldn't take the chance of getting in there. The DCR is 10.3K. I got all the magnet, bobbin and case dimensions which I'll try to plot out on a drawing some day soon. I have a few photos.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            I remember those... they were made like P bass coils, but single coil like a Jazz pickup. They were nice sounding basses.
            what do you mean by this, isnt a p bass essentially a j bass pup but there are 2 sections split and wound separately? what are the other differences between the 2 that you speak of here?

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
              Well there were so many layers of tape on the coils I just couldn't take the chance of getting in there. The DCR is 10.3K. I got all the magnet, bobbin and case dimensions which I'll try to plot out on a drawing some day soon. I have a few photos.
              I think that's all you need. You can extrapolate the number of turns from the bobbin size and DC resistance. The important parts are the type and size of the magnets (as well as strength) and the bobbin dimensions. I believe with that info, you can make a good copy.

Originally posted by black_labb View Post
              what do you mean by this, isnt a p bass essentially a j bass pup but there are 2 sections split and wound separately? what are the other differences between the 2 that you speak of here?
              It's like a P bass in that the coils are wider and probably squatter than a J, which has tall thin coils.

On a P bass the actual coil is very wide and not very tall. This is akin to a Fender Jazz Master or even a P-90. Think of how a Jazz Master sounds, and then compare that to a Strat. It's a combination of a wider coil, and also because the outside layers of wire are farther from the core (magnets). Thos two things make it mellower sounding than a Jazz Bass (or Strat) pickup.

The split coils of the P make it noise canceling, but the shape of the coils is what helps give that tone.

So he Guild sounded like it had two single coil P pickups.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                I think that's all you need. You can extrapolate the number of turns from the bobbin size and DC resistance. The important parts are the type and size of the magnets (as well as strength) and the bobbin dimensions. I believe with that info, you can make a good copy.

It's like a P bass in that the coils are wider and probably squatter than a J, which has tall thin coils.

On a P bass the actual coil is very wide and not very tall. This is akin to a Fender Jazz Master or even a P-90. Think of how a Jazz Master sounds, and then compare that to a Strat. It's a combination of a wider coil, and also because the outside layers of wire are farther from the core (magnets). Thos two things make it mellower sounding than a Jazz Bass (or Strat) pickup.

The split coils of the P make it noise canceling, but the shape of the coils is what helps give that tone.

So he Guild sounded like it had two single coil P pickups.
                thanks, that makes sense. im surprised it never occurred to me that they were wider, also explains the difference in sound you get from a p and a j that i have been trying to explain to myself for a while. cant believe it didnt dawn on me that a p bass pup is wide because the coil is wide.

Comment

Here are the photos I took:
                  Check out the care and thought that went into shielding this instrument from the factory all the way back in 1974! Even the magnets are grounded with conductive copper foil.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that brings back memories. I remember playing them in the local music store back when they came out.

Thanks for the pictures.

Comment

Working...
                    X