Laney AOR Series II mod, fx loop, AOR gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney AOR Series II mod, fx loop, AOR gain

Laney AOR 100 series II, mods? The schematic is posted here>> http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group...s_Fixes/files/

I want to bypass the effects loop as to eliminate any solid-state signal path. I am concerned if I can simply hard wire a jump from the FX loop input to the Power amp 12ax7 stage. I do understand I would have to desolder the FX loop in and out points as to not feed a signal to it.

Another concern is the voltage at this stage, is there any other mods to the path post master volume prior the 12ax7 in the power stage.

If you really want a challenge? I am trashing the AOR channel which is way to fuzzy. I would like that AOR channel to be allot more JCM800 sounding, so I am going to mod the AOR gain on the V1A to JCM specs. Typically the distortion comes from the gain from the input tube, correct? I am not quite sure if I need to change the AOR master volume or leave it alone.

Any advice would be great as I am a self taught builder having moded several amps and effects.

I try and get my dist from the power tubes, hey if you come up with any thing throw it my way I just purchased a 50 watter i wanted 100 but oh well I want to do some mods take the fixed bias OUT first so i can run my tubes hot and maybe a cap across phase invertor to cut the fizzes out!!

I have read this puppy is marshall like in tone and sound only better I am syked!!
    peace
    T

Comment

Laney AOR 50

does anyone have the schematics of the 50 AOR please hit me up with a e mail bevh5150@aol.com thanks gang!!!

Comment

mcrazy4fx, I can't access the schematic in the yahoo.

I had a Laney AOR 30 combo for more than ten years and it never failed me.
        I tried several mods and bypassed the echo-circuit which uses op-amps. It didn't enhance the sound at all - I only lost the reverb.
        IMO these are quite nice amps with a good cabinet.
        These Laney's are pretty close to marshall design, you can experiment with different Rk/Ck / coupling cap values in the preamp.
        In my case the "fizz" sound came from an old fane-speaker which was replaced with a Celestion V30 with good results.

Unfortunately at some point I was stupid enough to use its chassis for my Engl clone...

I do have all the circuits and hardware left, I just have to build it again to another chassis!

Now I'm thinking of polished brass...

RisingForce, I think I have the Laney 50 AOR schematics somewhere, I'll post it if I can find it.

- Leka

Comment

Thxs

Originally posted by Leka View Post
          mcrazy4fx, I can't access the schematic in the yahoo.

I had a Laney AOR 30 combo for more than ten years and it never failed me.
          I tried several mods and bypassed the echo-circuit which uses op-amps. It didn't enhance the sound at all - I only lost the reverb.
          IMO these are quite nice amps with a good cabinet.
          These Laney's are pretty close to marshall design, you can experiment with different Rk/Ck / coupling cap values in the preamp.
          In my case the "fizz" sound came from an old fane-speaker which was replaced with a Celestion V30 with good results.

Unfortunately at some point I was stupid enough to use its chassis for my Engl clone...

I do have all the circuits and hardware left, I just have to build it again to another chassis!

Now I'm thinking of polished brass...

RisingForce, I think I have the Laney 50 AOR schematics somewhere, I'll post it if I can find it.

- Leka
          Thxs for the pics and the info!! The amp is on her way here and yes I agree she sure does look like a marshall inside, the reason I bought was for that reason, I sure cant afford 3k for the JCM actually I did buy and sent back not for that kind of money. I purchased the 50 watter AOR ebay 250.00 cant complain in working order, cant wait to tear her apart and work on her!!
          I got the schematics thxs!

Comment

Before you trash the fixed bias and cap the Phase

Rising...

Before you make the major changes let me dig out my mods on the AOR 100. I modded the AOR gain channel to be a very HOTT JCM800 sound! Replacing the 100K Master VR1 with a 1M and modding its resistors and caps! I do have the 100W with 6550's, firing into a Fender 4x12 w/4 100w Celestion,,, can I just say LOUD and NASTY. The AOR channel gain is nothing short of crazy.

I think the curcuit designs are the same for both the 50 and 100 other than the power tubes, of course. I will try and find the AOR 50 schematic. Do you a a photo of your AOR 50's board?

mcrazy4fx

Originally posted by RisingForce View Post
            does anyone have the schematics of the 50 AOR please hit me up with a e mail bevh5150@aol.com thanks gang!!!

Comment

Thxs

Originally posted by mcrazy4fx View Post
              Rising...

Before you make the major changes let me dig out my mods on the AOR 100. I modded the AOR gain channel to be a very HOTT JCM800 sound! Replacing the 100K Master VR1 with a 1M and modding its resistors and caps! I do have the 100W with 6550's, firing into a Fender 4x12 w/4 100w Celestion,,, can I just say LOUD and NASTY. The AOR channel gain is nothing short of crazy.

I think the curcuit designs are the same for both the 50 and 100 other than the power tubes, of course. I will try and find the AOR 50 schematic. Do you a a photo of your AOR 50's board?

mcrazy4fx
              Not yet, actually laney sent me schematics as another person did let me know the reason I purchased everyone says she sounds like marshall I cant afford 3k for marshall thanks for all the help much appreciated!!

RF

Comment

RF, you have the AOR 50 schematics?

Please email me a copy of the AOR 50 schematics, mcrazy4fx@yahoo.com , so I can cross reference my MOD's.

Comment

AOR 50 Combo

I've just acquired a 50W combo and would appreciate the schematics if they are floating around. My e-mail address is tonybt@lineone.net

I also have a question about the controls. On Leka's pics the preamp volume controls are on the left, which is just like mine. However, on the manuals I downloaded from Laney's site, they are on the right and they also seem to be two distinct sets of preamp and master for the 'normal' and AOR channels.

Can anyone tell me how the four dials as per Leka's pic relate to the preamp and master of the two channels?

I'm looking forward to learning about this amp, which is my first all-valve adventure!

Cheers all

Tony

Comment

Thanks Leka

Thanks for the schematic and thanks also to mcrazy4fx for the AOR mods.

After my initial delight with the amp I am now frustrated by the 'fizziness' of the AOR channel so I will investigate these mods.

Cheers all,

Tony

Comment

Hm

Hey I recently wanted to bias my amp cause I changed the tube, and noticed that the pot for doing so are missing. It's just a hole there. I have a AOR 50Watt Head (1987 model). Any suggestions here?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyBoy View Post
                        Hey I recently wanted to bias my amp cause I changed the tube, and noticed that the pot for doing so are missing. It's just a hole there. I have a AOR 50Watt Head (1987 model). Any suggestions here?
                        Hi!

Has somebody made it cathode-biased?
                        Can you see if there has been made some mods to the amp?
                        If it is cathode biased, you should find big resistor/s near the power tubes...
                        What type / how many tubes does AOR 50W use?

I finally got my AOR-30 back to life and did the same mods to it that mcrazy4fx sent in the first message.
                        Big thanks to mcrazy4fx!!
                        The mods raised my amp to a totally new level!
                        I totally recommend these mods!
                        I rebuilded my amp to a stainless steel chassis, damn it's HARD to make holes to that material...

Comment

Mcrazy4fx AOR 100 modds (PLEASE READ) if you are a modder

Hello all AOR modders,

Just to clarify!!!

The Modds I did on my AOR 100 are based on having 6550's as output tubes!

If you want to get an AOR 50/100 to be more Marshally on the AOR channel with very little modification. I recommend to replace the 100K VR1 with a 1MEG and replace the 2 100K resistors with a single 470K. Also replace the EL34’s with KT77’s as I believe they are direct replacements. You will retain the clean channel which will get dirty and the AOR will growl.

The Mods listed here http://www.geocities.com/t.racer_x/index.html are truly on for 6550’s in the power section. And only truly great if you only need one channel the AOR. You will find the clean channel to be ear bleeding clean.

FYI...
                          I took my modded AOR 100 and install KT77’s and reverted back to the basic modds I mentioned in the first paragraph. Although I did leave the 68K mod on mine because it was already done. The KT77's are very rich and lush combined with the basic modds it really growls.

Tracer_x

Comment

Working...
                          X