Pickup Maker's Glossary of Terms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Maker's Glossary of Terms?

I just want to throw this out on the table to see what folks thought...since we have a Pickup Maker's FAQs, what do you guys think about a Glossary of terms.

I was thinking of not only defining the term but also providing additional info (see example below). I know it would be a lot of work but it can be a living ongoing document that anyone can contribute to at any time so it won't be a burden on any one person.

For right now, maybe it can be an ongoing thread and once we get a bunch of info/terms defined, I (or someone else) would be willing to compile it into one comprehensive document/thread.

All these great minds on the forum, I am sure that it would be a kickass document for anyone interested in learning more about pickups......just an idea that I thought i would throw out there...you can trash the idea if you want.

For example (below is a very rough draft)

(Term) Hookup wire

(Definition) a wire that provides a connection to the leads of the coil(s) of the pickup to the electrical componants of the guitar... etc...

(Types) braided, 4 conductor, cloth covered single conductor, etc...

(Specifications) (this is quoted from Stewmac's site just to provide an example) The 22AWG (American Wire Gauge) 0.112" diameter shielded wire for Gibson guitars has a tinned stranded conductor, white celanese and black waxed cotton insulation, and a tinned braided copper shield....etc...

(History) Gibson used the braided wire during the 1950s on PAFs.. etc....

(Image) a graphic or photo of the term being described
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

ok, i guess the idea wasn't that doable.

How about a classfied section for members who want to sell unwanted or excess pickup parts?
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
      ok, i guess the idea wasn't that doable.
      It's entirely practical if people figure out how to add to the Wiki.
      -- not a difficult thing, but it does take a little time.

What other items would you (and everyone else) like to see in a glossary?

How about a classfied section for members who want to sell unwanted or excess pickup parts?
      If we put it up here, Tboy must receive a small percentage
      since he has always been our most generous host.

-drh
      He who moderates least moderates best.

Comment

Working...
      X