Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proper humbucker bobbins?

Hi all,
    I've been making humbuckers for a bit, trying my hand at the art, and have purchased bobbins from three sources. They are fine, but the bottom of the bobbin has a straight cut that removes some of the curve on the end that I really can't stand, especially if I need to wind something a bit hotter, since the coil hangs out and sags a bit. Not something I would want to sell. I have dissasembled some DiMarzio and Duncans, and they dont have this "feature". I am annoyed enough that it makes me want to get my own injection die.

I did a search and found nothing regarding this, so apologies if I repeat an old questions.

Shannon
    Shannon Hooge
    NorthStar Guitar
    northstarguitar.com

I rewound a "Duncan Design" HB the other day, it had that same straight portion just as you describe.

Comment

I had some like that and didn't find a problem with the coil sagging, maybe the way you are winding?

Comment

I was really packing on the coils. Normally this doesn't happen, but when trying to get a lot of winds on, they sneak out a little (tightwinds too). If this is the standard, then I'll just figure it out.
        Shannon Hooge
        NorthStar Guitar
        northstarguitar.com

Comment

I don't think that the Stew Mac bobbins are cut off like that.
          -Stan
          ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
          Stan Hinesley Pickups
          FaceBook

Comment

Hmmm, not sure whats happening there. Maybe you are getting too close to the edge when winding? I always leave some space at the edges and fill as needed. Wish I could be of more help.

Comment

Working...
            X