Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rheostat replacement for footswitch control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rheostat replacement for footswitch control?

Hey Folks,
    I am in the process of building a "sewing machine coil winder" See earlier post for photo. I want to replace the footswitch with a rheostat of some sort, but am stumped as far as what type to get. Im looking for something with a smooth speed transition, not a detent style switch. The footswitch is a standard sewing machine unit, it handles 110 volt power....kenmore sewing machine.
    -Erin

Originally posted by lexluthier72 View Post
    Hey Folks,
    I am in the process of building a "sewing machine coil winder" See earlier post for photo. I want to replace the footswitch with a rheostat of some sort, but am stumped as far as what type to get. Im looking for something with a smooth speed transition, not a detent style switch. The footswitch is a standard sewing machine unit, it handles 110 volt power....kenmore sewing machine.
    -Erin
    Pop that foot pedal apart, and see what it has in it!

That should give you a great idea as to what to use.

Comment

I have, and well...thats where im stumped. See photo...any help would be great.
      -Erin
      Attached Files

Comment

Take it apart, and put an ohm meter on it while you actuate the thing. See if it's resistance based.

Comment

I think I got it figured out. Looks like a 120v dimmer switch will do the trick.
          Last edited by lexluthier72; 01-09-2008, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Got the new control wired up....see the "sewing machine coil winder thread for photos...almost there....
            -Erin

Comment

Working...
            X