Max UF for 5Y3 Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max UF for 5Y3 Rectifier

I need some help clearing up conflicts in my research concerning the UF tolerance for a 5Y3 rectifier tube I am using in a single ended DYI amp design. My reserach finds conflicts in the typical operatiing (or maximum) UF specs that range from 10UF to 20UF (maximum).

Conflicting with this I find the Fender Bronco schematic (40UF) and many posts at variance sites (up to 47UF).

Can you give me some guidance on determining the maximum, or a rule of thumb?

I have prototyped a single ended amp and want to boost the UF at the rectifier stage. I have tried values as high as 47UF with good result, but am concerned that I might eventually have rectifier arching or failure.

50uf is safe as houses, some use 100uf.

Comment

Great and thanks. I have learned to rule out as many potential issues pre-build as I can to help me later when troubleshooting.

PS-You have helped me several times over the last year, I really appreciate your current and past help.
      Les

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

And in general it is good to keep in mind that what you are supposed to do and what you can get away with are not usually the same thing.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

So 50uf you can get away with, regardless of whether one is supposed to or not?

The amp really rocks using the 47uf cap. It's amazing what a small change in the power section makes in certain amps.

Comment

Working...
            X