Split coil bass pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split coil bass pickups

A friend of mine has a shitty 5 string bass guitar that has a split coil pu in the neck position and a jazz bass type pu in the bridge position. I don't know who was the imbecile who made it but all the pickups are for a four string bass guitar. Naturally, the thing sounds awful what with most of the pole pieces misaligned with the strings. I am being requested to wind the correct pickups. The problem is with the neck pu. How do I go about doing split coils for a five string bass guitar? I remember somebody posting this same question before. I don't recall what the advise he got and am too lazy to look for the particular thread. Will appreciate it if somebody can give me suggestions.

It's easy, you just put 3 sets of A5s in the treble side and 2 sets in the bass side + a third set of inert slugs those goes under the middle string. You wind = turns around both. You also need to split the J into 3+ 2 if you want to use both PUs together or 1/2 of the strings will be out of phase. # of turns on the J per side is different because the coils are different sizes. That's a big PIA and I don't know the formula.

Comment

A real pain in the ass!

Yup, you're right David. It's a real PIA. I'm thinking of just plugging the pickup cavities with wood and routing for humbuckers. I might just do that.

Comment

Working...
      X