Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSS Strat with Eric Clapton mid-boost kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS Strat with Eric Clapton mid-boost kit?

Hi,

I have an HSS strat (the model with the Diamondback humbucker and S-1 switching). I won't make this story too long, but I've never heard this guitar yet. I bought an Eric Clapton mid-boost kit and took this guitar to a Fender authorized tech, who's going to install it. Since I didn't know, he explained what "TBX Tone Control" was. Just from my experience in hearing S-1 switching on Fender basses, I told this tech that I didn't care at all about having this capability on this strat.

I realize I should be asking him, but how would any of you expect this guitar to work when it's done? Meaning, I would still have a master volume, the middle knob being the 25 dB mid-boost, then the last knob being the TBX tone control (or vice versa), and both of the "tone" controls would apply to whatever pickup switch position the guitar is in? So in essence, all 3 knobs are "master" knobs? This is gonna be a rather interesting strat.

The S-1 switch puts the pickups in series. The TBX control attemps to remove the tone control from the circuit so you get a brighter tone. Think of a stock Strat's bridge pickup.. no tone control. Personally I think it needs a tone control!

You'd be fine either way, stock tone or TBX.

I had a Strat style guitar with EMG-SA's and their mid boost, and a master tone control. I think that's a cool setup.

You really don't need two tone controls on a guitar where you can hardly use two pickups at once!
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
    X