Peavey problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey problem

Looks like the right place to post my problem. As this is my first post may I say hello and happy new year. O.K. that's the pleasantries dispensed with so down to the nitty gritty.
    I've blown my horn (Ooo Mrs) on both my Hisys speakers. (ON SEPARATE OCCASIONS). Both crossovers have also blown.
    I power the speakers (Peavey Hisys XT series) with a Peavey 2600, (output rating 900 watts per channel)
    My question is this: Is the Amp compatible with the Hisys or is it too powerful?
    (I kinda think I already know the answer but I was advised, when buying from a reputable dealer that the amp and speakers were compatible.)
    All equipment was bought 2nd hand and did work for a good while, then I noticed loud sound cracks coming through. It sounded like someone dropping a tin tray onto a stone tile floor, and then eventually all "top" disappeared.
    Hope someone out there can help

If you have the speakers I'm familiar with, they are rated for 350 watts. So your power amp is capable of blowing them up. But unless your cranking that power amp much of the time I wouldn't expect it. 700 watts is an awful lot of PA power. The amp can't blow up the speakers just because it's rated at 900 watts. You have to turn it up really loud to make it do that. Those speakers do have specific connections in the back to properly operate the crossovers. Do you know if you've been plugging them in correctly?

The fact that your crossovers are toasted too is more indicative of overpowering the speakers rather than plugging them in wrong.

Other than that I can only say that if I had to bet on which speaker was going to go first in a PA cabinet, I'd bet on the horn. Most brands make a point out of advertising how sturdy THEIR horn is because people know they're gonna fail first.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck H; 01-19-2008, 04:24 AM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

What exactly do you mean by the crossovers being "blown?"
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X