Hole Punch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole Punch

Does anybody have a source for an inexpensive holepunch. I just want one 7/8". I came across a site a couple weeks ago that sold them for $7, but the $7 shipping turned me away. Now I'm finding that was a pretty good deal but I can't find that website anymore. I'm sure it was a site recommended here on the forum for other things - not specifically for punches.

I can't get over how much making one d@mn hole will cost me.

I just brought a 7/8" today from a 2nd-hand shop (selling just 2nd-hand tools of all sorts and old tube radio gear etc) - cost about $20NZ, (which is $15US?) . So $7 smackeroos does sound good.

Try a 2nd-hand shop near where you are, you might have some luck.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Cheap hole punchers are just that-cheap.They wont last long and depending on how thick the chassis is may not do the job.Check e-bay for Greenlee punches.

Comment

Originally posted by stokes View Post
        Cheap hole punchers are just that-cheap.They wont last long and depending on how thick the chassis is may not do the job.Check e-bay for Greenlee punches.
        For what it's worth... the 1.3125" dia hole punch I bought to punch my chassis using the Belton octal sockets cost $231.00.
        I've done over 450 solid steel chassis with it and had it dressed once.
        However, even cheap punches can be sharpened for around $8.00 out here so if you are a casual hombrewer, I'd be unafraid to use a little cheapy.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

If you don't want to pay money for tools and want to make one hole, then I bet a metal shop would punch a hole for you for a few bucks
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I knew if I talked about it enough at work, somebody would be able to help. This person just happened to have shut down a machine shop and had a complete kit at his disposal. I can borrow any size I need now.

Thanks for all the advice. I still feel for the others out there who find, or will find themselves in my same predicament.

Comment

The Greenlee radio chassis punches show up on ebay regularly.
              I bought one 3/4" round and one 1-1/8" round together for 20.50 $US.
              Just what I needed for my 9-pin and octal sockets.

Paul P

Comment

Originally posted by Paul P View Post
                The Greenlee radio chassis punches show up on ebay regularly.
                I bought one 3/4" round and one 1-1/8" round together for 20.50 $US.
                Just what I needed for my 9-pin and octal sockets.

Paul P
                That would be a good price in opinion.
                Keep in mind that my $231.00 punch set is installed in a $60,000.00 computer controlled punch press.
                The hand held punch sets are absolutely fine for an occasional punch here and there.
                I have a set with roller bearings (easier to turn the pinch bolt) and use them to mod chassis .... although tough to punch chrome steel, they pop aluminum very easily.
                Bruce

Mission Amps
                Denver, CO. 80022
                www.missionamps.com
                303-955-2412

Comment

Hi guys!

Well, sorry to hijack, could somebody check that question about hole punches and using it in a pilar drill?

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...2&postcount=10

Thanks a lot and best regards.

Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Satamax View Post
                    Well, sorry to hijack, could somebody check that question about hole punches and using it in a pilar drill?
                    You mean with the drill turning ? Chassis punches work by shearing. If you were to have one spinning it would heat up awful fast and lose its edge. If you mean just as a press I'm pretty sure your drill press doesn't have enough leverage and you'd probably break something before you got anywhere. A hydraulic press would work well though. Paul P [Hey, what happened to my carriage returns ?]

Comment

Originally posted by Paul P View Post
                      You mean with the drill turning ? Chassis punches work by shearing. If you were to have one spinning it would heat up awful fast and lose its edge. If you mean just as a press I'm pretty sure your drill press doesn't have enough leverage and you'd probably break something before you got anywhere. A hydraulic press would work well though. Paul P [Hey, what happened to my carriage returns ?]
                      Hi Paul!

Huh, not turning, i know it's not a drill! I thought i could may be use the drill press as an arbor press. I'll just give it a try and see what it does.

Huh, sorry, carriage returns????

Comment

Originally posted by Satamax View Post
                        Huh, sorry, carriage returns????
                        For some reason when I wrote the last message the editor program used
                        here used to post messages threw my 'newlines' out the window so my text
                        appeared all on the same line (though it was wrapped at the end of the
                        window). Also, your text appeared with a bunch of "</br>"s at the end of
                        each line (which are usually invisible).

It seems ok now. Weird.

Paul P

Comment

Well the 2nd-hand set of 4 hole punches I bought (for $80NZ in total) are Greenlea ones, and they looked like NOS. So they'll do me for the next few builds I guess. I must've got a good deal or something
                          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
                          X