Sears 40XL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sears 40XL?

It's a single 12 combo and it works, but it doesn't sound good...not bad, but not good. It hums too. The Ot has been replaced.
    BTW, it's 2 channels with vol & tone ctrls only and channel 2 has reverb and tremolo
    I was thinking it would make a good project chassis for a super mod or rebuild. Can these old amps be made into anything really good?

Thanks

Originally posted by Just Mike View Post
    It's a single 12 combo and it works, but it doesn't sound good...not bad, but not good. It hums too. The Ot has been replaced.
    BTW, it's 2 channels with vol & tone ctrls only and channel 2 has reverb and tremolo
    I was thinking it would make a good project chassis for a super mod or rebuild. Can these old amps be made into anything really good?

Thanks
    Before you do anything, make or draw a schematic with part values... I've been looking for that schematic for a couple months.
    Bruce
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Can do. It might take a couple of days, but I should be able to do it. It's a pretty simple circuit. I already did a takeoff of the resistor and cap values a while back.

Comment

When tuned up using good tubes and a real speaker, those little things can really rock. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it and build something else from it.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Yeah, I used to have one about 30 years ago, and even then, I remember it just sounded "right". But not this one.
          Do you have any "tune up" suggestions other than the speaker replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by Just Mike View Post
            Yeah, I used to have one about 30 years ago, and even then, I remember it just sounded "right". But not this one.
            Do you have any "tune up" suggestions other than the speaker replacement?
            Good tubes, refresh the filter caps and Mallory 150 caps in all the coupling and tone circuits.
            Any high speaker sounds better.
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Haven't finished tracing it out yet, but here's some pics

Comment

Very cool... try and trace that one out...they are simple, use inexpensive parts and sound really good for what they are.
                Bruce

Mission Amps
                Denver, CO. 80022
                www.missionamps.com
                303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
                X