Converting a blues deluxe reissue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a blues deluxe reissue...

Hello to all. This is an awesome board you have here.
    I have a blues deluxe reissue and am not that satisfied with it. Could it be converted into a bassman or twin? Im ready to take out the cirtcuit board and use any components from it that I can. Could I keep the chassis and add a hand wired circuit and a couple tubes? How easy would this be? I want to start with this and then start building amps on the side.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

In general, yes, however, there are some important issues.

The power transformer is designed for a specific load of preamp and output tubes.
    That means you're limited to using the same type of amp.
    A twin would be out, since it uses 4 6L6 tubes.
    A bassman with 6V6's is possible, although this is most likely called a Harvard or Princeton.

The 5e3 Deluxe is a very desirable amp, so the first question is why does your amp not sound great.
    It may be possible (and easier) to make some changes that dramatically improve the tone.

>> I want to start with this and then start building amps on the side.

From an educational standpoint, it might be more beneficial to figure out how to mod or rebuild your 5e3 into a superior tone machine, instead of building something else.

For instance, if low quality components are the issue, you'd end up building another amp that doesn't sound very good.
    See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

Not a 5E3.....a much different circuit and sound. 40 watts vice 14.

Comment

Yeah, he's talking about a Blues Deluxe reissue, not a 5E3 Deluxe reissue, that's a whole different ballgame. I think the BLues Deluxe RI is a good candidate for what you're looking to do. I would probably build the 5E5A/5E7/5F4 circuit in that bad boy. You've got the right number of tubes. I've forgotten the control layout on the Blues Deluxe, I know there's two channels. You've probably got enough pot holes to add a post PI master volume, which really helps make the amp much more versatile. You can get >90% of the tone of the cranked amp at reduced volume, it's very handy. I think it's a great idea.

Comment

Oh sorry.

Yes, with a pair of 6L6's a Bassman is definitely possible.
          See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
          http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

Originally posted by hasserl View Post
            Yeah, he's talking about a Blues Deluxe reissue, not a 5E3 Deluxe reissue, that's a whole different ballgame. I think the BLues Deluxe RI is a good candidate for what you're looking to do. I would probably build the 5E5A/5E7/5F4 circuit in that bad boy. You've got the right number of tubes. I've forgotten the control layout on the Blues Deluxe, I know there's two channels. You've probably got enough pot holes to add a post PI master volume, which really helps make the amp much more versatile. You can get >90% of the tone of the cranked amp at reduced volume, it's very handy. I think it's a great idea.
            First, Thanks for the replies. I am new at this and really appreciate the input.

The control layout is Vol/drv/trb/mid/bss/mstr/prs/rvb I would say the effects loop and foot switch holes could work as pot holes as well. so that totals up 11 pots I could use without drilling. Were could I find an example of how to tie in that post PI master volume.

Between the 5e5a/5e7/5f4 which would you say has more of a silverface twin type sound? , Or is that too far of a reach?

What about reverb? Could I easily tie that into one of those circuits or are there similar circuits that have reverb already? The BD RI does have a reverb tank so I guess I would like to do that.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X