Best preamp tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best preamp tubes

In Your opinion...what are the best preamp tubes in a standard 5E3 amplifier..??

Originally posted by bluesaholic View Post
    In Your opinion...what are the best preamp tubes in a standard 5E3 amplifier..??
    I really like mid 50s-early 60's Sylvania 12AY7s and a good old RCA black plate 12AX7. But any NOS 12AY7 sounds really good if not microphonic.
    Also, never use anything other then a real NOS American made 5Y3GT, from either RCA, Sylvania or GE.
    If money is an object you can't really go too far wrong with a generic reissue 12AY7EH and a SOVTEK made tung-sol 12AX7... Even a JJ ECC83s is very good.
    If the Russian 12AY7EH seems a little hot, ... it is.
    They all seem to have a little higher mu then a real 12AY7 from days gone by.
    I just find it makes the volume control a little more sensitive and the amp ramps-cranks up sooner.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

I too prefer 50's NOS tubes. I got some good unused GE12AT7WAs (6201) the other day (triple spacer and black plates). I put one in V1 of my Classic 30 (with the preamp supply resistors tweeked to deliver about 280V on the plates). It really sings. Gives a lovely chime which isn't too over-the-top.

I also like their JAN 5751s (although its probably a matter of personal taste)
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
      X