Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half-length humbucker alnico bar magnets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half-length humbucker alnico bar magnets?

Does anyone have a source for humbucker alnico bars, that are cut to half length? I only need a small quantity to try out some designs

Originally posted by Meowy View Post
    Does anyone have a source for humbucker alnico bars, that are cut to half length? I only need a small quantity to try out some designs
    i dont think you will be able to find them, best bet would find somewhere that can cut them in half for you. the alnico alloy is quite hard and brittle so you will probably have to do some research into it. i was curious about different magnet shapes a while ago and was going to try turning some different shapes on my lathe, but realised it couldnt be done without special cutting tools at the least so didnt bother.

sorry i couldnt be much help.

Comment

I bet you had the same ideas I did :-)
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I cut one once with a dremel, really slow so as to not heat it up too much. It took me about a half an hour to cut it, then the shavings were a nightmare.... Find someone who can do it, preferably unmagnatized...

Comment

I have a few smaller size Alnicos: 1.8125 x .25 x .125

That’s not half length, and so may be of no use. They would be easier to cut to size than a full width type though.

Comment

Wouldn't a wet tile saw work for this? I'd use masking tape to remove all the fragments.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
              Wouldn't a wet tile saw work for this? I'd use masking tape to remove all the fragments.
              That's a good idea.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                Yeah it does, if you take your time with it. I've used mine for the job a few times, though not for cutting pickup magnets (magnets for little wind generators, actually).

Another thing you can do to catch those pesky shavings is to stick a neodymium flat magnet either side of the job. 90% of the shavings will stick to the neo and can be scraped off into the bin when you're done. I do the same thing when I have to drill an extra hole in an already populated (steel) amp chassis, too. Doesn't catch them all, of course, but better than nothing.
                So B+ is the one that hurts when you touch it, yeah?

Comment

I keep telling people about this little mitre saw. I use one daily for cutting everything from wood to alnico.

Click image for larger version

Name:	15218[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	811491

Now I'm well aware that it's a small under-powered gizmo but once again i'm telling you how to cut alnico easily. ignore me by all means. I have one which i shipped in to the UK. I wouldn't have wasted money on shit.
                  sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Cool! I have a million uses for something like that. Didn't even know they made those, to be honest.
                    So B+ is the one that hurts when you touch it, yeah?

Comment

You'll need 110 V power supply; the only downside.
                      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                        I keep telling people about this little mitre saw. I use one daily for cutting everything from wood to alnico.

[ATTACH]1657[/ATTACH]

Now I'm well aware that it's a small under-powered gizmo but once again i'm telling you how to cut alnico easily. ignore me by all means. I have one which i shipped in to the UK. I wouldn't have wasted money on shit.
                        Spence, is this a Micromark product? If not, where did you get yours?
                        www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Yes it is microMark and that's where I got it from. I'm well equipped for 110V too as I have a step-down transformer.
                          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Meowy View Post
                            I have some from Magnetic Hold laying around, 5 pieces each of A2, A3 and A5.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                              I have some from Magnetic Hold laying around, 5 pieces each of A2, A3 and A5.
                              PM sent, thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X