Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Best Replacement Speaker for an original Fender Twin Reverb Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Best Replacement Speaker for an original Fender Twin Reverb Amp?

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum so I could really use the help.

I just electronically repaired a friends original Fender Twin Reverb amp. Unfortunately, both speakers are shorted. What is the consensus as to the best replacement speakers for this amp? Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken S.

Have the originals reconed by a reputable reconer if you want to keep the amp stock. It should run you about $60 apiece for a good job. As far as replacements, it depends on what sound you are after. If you want to keep the cost down for a great speaker with a response similar to the original but a little more rugged, check out the Eminence Legends. I put a 12" Legend ($34) in my 1960 Ampeg Rocket when I blew the speaker for a temporary fix. I liked it so much that the original Jensen is still setting in the box waiting to be reconed. I can drive the Legend harder without risking fusing the voice coil but it sounds almost identical to the Jensen even though it has a ceramic magnet. Whatever you do, keep the old blown speakers. The amp is more valuable if you have them, even if they are not in the amp and are blown.

Comment

I had a Blackface twin with reissue Jensen C12N's that sounded fantastic. I eventually found a set of original C12N's for it that I put in just to make the amp closer to stock, and discovered the reissues sounded better than the originals. Of course, YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
        Have the originals reconed by a reputable reconer if you want to keep the amp stock. It should run you about $60 apiece for a good job. As far as replacements, it depends on what sound you are after. If you want to keep the cost down for a great speaker with a response similar to the original but a little more rugged, check out the Eminence Legends. I put a 12" Legend ($34) in my 1960 Ampeg Rocket when I blew the speaker for a temporary fix. I liked it so much that the original Jensen is still setting in the box waiting to be reconed. I can drive the Legend harder without risking fusing the voice coil but it sounds almost identical to the Jensen even though it has a ceramic magnet. Whatever you do, keep the old blown speakers. The amp is more valuable if you have them, even if they are not in the amp and are blown.
        So which Eminence 12" Legend was that? I just googled it and 3 different models came up at Tonetronix.com (which offers free shipping on most orders over $100): the 50W GB128 for $70, the 75W 1258 for $55 and the 150W 1218 for $85.

Thanks!

Steve Ahola

P.S. Are there any on-line dealers that anyone would recommend- good prices, reasonable shipping charges, excellent customer service...?
        Last edited by Steve A.; 02-07-2008, 09:01 PM.
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Ted Weber makes some great speakers,in my experience.He is very helpful in recommending speakers if you explain to him what you are looking for.I have used a half dozen different models in amps and every time I asked for his advice he has nailed what I was looking for.Drop him a line.

Comment

Eminence Patriot series.

I've put more then a few pairs of those 12' Eminence Red White Blues speakers in customer's Twin Reverb amps.
            And again just a few weeks ago in a black face Twin.
            I have to tell you I was fairly impressed with them for the price.
            Yes, a little tight at first but a good buy.
            http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-814

I've also used the Eminence Swamp Thang speakers in a Twin Reverb and Pro Reverb amp with a very satisfying outcome! Different but still a good sound.
            http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-810
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
              So which Eminence 12" Legend was that? I just googled it and 3 different models came up at Tonetronix.com (which offers free shipping on most orders over $100): the 50W GB128 for $70, the 75W 1258 for $55 and the 150W 1218 for $85.

Thanks!

Steve Ahola

P.S. Are there any on-line dealers that anyone would recommend- good prices, reasonable shipping charges, excellent customer service...?
              Although it says nothing on it but Legend, I believe that the one I am using is a Red White and Blues Patriot. I got it a couple of years ago. At the time I paid under $40 for it no tax. Sorry, I don't rember the source. Look around. It's all about what you are after. Why don't you recone if the frames aren't damaged?

Comment

I agree with reconing, I have a 12" Utah in a 1x12 cabinet and a pair of 12" Emminence in a 67 Kustom cabinet both from reconing shops in Houston. The single he reconed for me and the pair were done by his teacher and never picked up by a previous customer. I paid $100 for the pair and have been running them plugged into my 130 watt Peavey MX since 1991 or so, and ran the single for about a year before that. Now I use it for a Fender Champ and have never had any problems with any of the speakers. They sound excellent too. The MX sounds like a really clean Fender Twin through the Kustom 2x12. Think Twin Reverb with volume on 3...but LOUD...

The 1x12 was all I had when I auditioned for a band that turned out to be a metal band in Houston, not my thing but we jammed anyway and it was fun. I was running the 130 watt MX through the single Utah, playing clean leads on top of a 100 watt Marshall full stack, it not only handled it and cut through the mix, it seriously impressed the guy with the Marshall. And I still had some room on the volume knob...

At that time it was $35 to recone my Utah that came out of a Peavey PA column, I just wish I had known they could be reconed when I got it, I would have grabbed all 3. This was the only one in working condition, I didn't know the blown ones could be reconed and let the guy throw them in the trash, column cab, horns and all...He gave me the one that worked, I had it reconed because it had been through 6 or 8 years of gig abuse, still worked but had a couple of rips repaired with kleenex and fingernail polish.

So I'll vote for reconing. As long as you can find a good shop, it's certainly worth it. My Emminence pair has held up to that 130 watt beast since 91, I'm sold...
                Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

Jensen C12K (100 watts).

Comment

my UL twin (used) came with an unlabeled fender (original?) speaker, seems like utah, and an old Pyle speaker. Both have VC rubs, will get the Pyle reconed, but not sure about the other one. Right now I'm running it with newer fender eminences (big magnets) pulled from a newer pro-tube twin. Doesn't add any coloration, but keeps it really clean and isn't woofy/farty in the bass dept, and the trebles are squeaky. Weber's are really affordable and sound amazing.

Comment

I put the C12K's in a customers SF Twin and they love them.

Comment

Originally posted by ahamay79 View Post
                        I put the C12K's in a customers SF Twin and they love them.
                        I turned my '71 Twin (blackfaced) into a head and have two 2x12 cabs - a '66 Bandmaster loaded with Greenbacks, and a new Lopo coverable loaded with the C12Ks. I play these rigs in a range of styles to blues to straight jazz, with lots of different guitars. Both cabs are brilliant, but for me, I favor the Jensens, with Lopo's back closed.

When I get some free time I'd like to hear what the speakers sound like if I switch the cabs.

Comment

If you would like my 2 cents worth I'd say it depends on what kind of sound you're after. If you want blues/classic rock tone use either Weber, Jensen or Eminince speakers. I tend to prefer the tone of alnico magnets plus they're a little lighter in weight but they're usually more expensive than ceramic magnets however ceramic magnets were more commonly used as "stock" models. On the other hand if you're after a really strong clean country twang or you're into playing jazz my choice would be reissue EV's or Weber California's (which are similar to the old JBL's many musicians used for Twin upgrades.
                          Hey you... Yeah you kid... Ya wanna buy some "Magic Beans"?

Comment

Working...
                          X