No announcement yet.

Crest power amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear you Rick and thanks for the input.I've always respected your knowledge on this board and that's what I've been trying to tell the guy.I've checked the output for DC and found none but will let it run longer and try again.The amp has outs for banana clips only but don't yet know what size cable and length he is running.That should have been the first question I asked when he told me they were hot.
    Thanks for the input and you are right again.This amp is packed with shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      Why not just rewire it for 240V line voltage and not tell him
      The low voltage regulators would probably be running below their drop-out point then. The 120Hz hum would probably tip him off.

Comment

Isn't that a switcher? If so, the secondaries are not running at 120Hz.

KB, speakers blow open and blow short, but they also blow my warping the voice coil. This won't show up on a meter.

If the plug arced, it would have been pulled while playing. If there were DC on the speaker, we would have heard noise from that. Plus the current draw would likely shut down the channel.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I spoke with my guy earlier today that rebuilt the first speaker.He said the voice coil was burnt.I tore apart the second speaker last night and there were signs of rub and the coil and former were blown apart at the top of the magnet.The coil was not badly warped but I did have a hell of a time getting it out.Considering what the sound guy told me about the heat and the cable I
          think he was pushing these speaker to hard with this amp.I've checked for DC at the output of the amp and that's not the problem.He also said it was quiet.
          He blew the first speaker 4 gigs ago,we reconed it and then he did 3 more gigs with the amp blowing another speaker on the 3rd gig.
          No DC out of the amp.He's pushing these speakers harder than he thinks he is in my opinion.

Comment

It's the nut that holds the volume knob...

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Isn't that a switcher? If so, the secondaries are not running at 120Hz.
            Nope - these amps have massive toroidal transformers and huge filter caps. I have worked on some pretty messed up 10004's which are two 8001's in one massive rack box. Loads of fun. Sounds like the amp isn't likely the problem here though.

RE

Comment

Which ones have the integral switcher on each channel block? 8002 maybe? I just sold one within the past year. SOmeone spilled a drink down inside it, and the 300+ volts on the switcher primary didn't like it. It invented fire. Replaced the whole switcher assy.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X