Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on speakers for BF super-reverb

hello.

i like to know any ideas from you, which speakers to put in a blackface super-reverb (1967), to replace the orininal ones (alnico-magnets, i'm not shure, if they are CTS, or something else...)

the original ones are ok at low levels, but when turned up, they sound like, well, let's say s***!!!

the other thing is, since i build my first two amps (a TAD princeton-reverb-clone, and a 1976 deluxe-reverb, rebuilt completely to bf specs., both with a celestion gold), i'm so into the tone of these two amps and the celestion, i can't stand the sound of my old super-reverb anymore.

the two problems i have, are:

• buying 4 new (expensive) speakers, that you can't try out (most sound samples in the net are no good reference at all... but that would be worth a new thread too... speaking of sound samples: has anyone listened to the CD's included to the tom wheeler book "the soul of tone" on fender amps? i think, they are s*** too... )

• the celestion gold is NOT availiable in 10"!!! celestion should think about that fact. I would instantly buy 4 (!!!!)...

what i had in mind first, was buying either tone-tubby alnicos, or weber blue or silver-pubs, well that's about € 260/speaker for the tt's and € 180 for ONE weber. but who knows, how they sound in my amp. and then i thought about selling the super-reverb...

anyone out there, who has tried these speakers for that kind of amp?

thanks for your answers...

Originally posted by oahu View Post
    hello.

i like to know any ideas from you, which speakers to put in a blackface super-reverb (1967), to replace the orininal ones (alnico-magnets, i'm not shure, if they are CTS, or something else...)
    I'd be very curious to hear what you think of the sound of the Super into any of the other speakers you have on hand. It's possible that the AMP is the problem, and not the speakers. Patching this amp into those speakers and vice versa is a very good, and yet very simple, troubleshooting measure.

Regards,
    -Bill

Comment

Weber

Since you like the british tone I can reccomend these !
      2 Silver 10's in the bottom :
      http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/silver10f.htm
      And 2 Blue Pups on top :
      http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/blue10f.htm

People who love the american sound rave about these:
      http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/10f125.htm

I use Weber british ones in most of my tweeds but I have a Weber american 15" with a british cone that is sweet !

He makes a 10" that is similar.
      Kind of a best of both worlds thing :
      http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/10f125p.htm

The advantage you have with 4x10's is you can put 4 different speakers in if you want to.

JJ

Comment

hello bill.

many thanks for your reply.

I'd be very curious to hear what you think of the sound of the Super into any of the other speakers you have on hand. It's possible that the AMP is the problem, and not the speakers. Patching this amp into those speakers and vice versa is a very good, and yet very simple, troubleshooting measure.
        yes, i tried this, but only one way, because the 4 speakers together in the super-reverb require a 2 ohms load. wouldn't be a good idea to plug them to a 8 ohms transformer... but also i never tried to use only one of the speakers in the princeton, which would be possible...

the sr sounds pretty much like the deluxe-reverb with the celestion, but with more power and headroom. i would even say it sounds a little better...

so, no, the amp is not the problem...

hello jj.

many thanks for your reply too. i think i will have to buy some speakers, to simply try them, even it costs some money, or maybe rebuild the sr to a top and plug it into a cab with two celestions???...

greetings from vienna, helmut.

Comment

2 Speakers

If you make a 2x12" cab the british combo that SMOKES is a Blue Dog and a Silver Bell.

They compliment each other and are very sweet.

http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/blue12f.htm

http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/silver12f.htm

The blue is what would have been in a '60's Vox and the silver is the '60's Marshall sound !

I use this combo in my Victoria Low Power Twin {50212}.

http://www.victoriaamp.com/visitor/show_model/9

JJ

Comment

hallo JJ.

as i see, you seem to like tweed amps. maybe i build me a tweed-deluxe clone next, just for the dirty side of lif(v)e. who knows...

which of the webers do you use? they are avaliable from 15 - 100 watts power-rating, with or without dope, and at $ 5 extra with pre-rola outfit. thats the next thing, when i think of buying a weber speaker. there are so many different options...

the problem is, i'm living in austria/europe, and webers are hard to find here.
            try to ask a guy in a guitar-shop over here to order them. they don't even know weber speakers... so where should i find out, if i like them with light dope or no dope, 30 watts or maybe 50 watts...

same thing with the tone-tubbys, but they only build them in alnico or ceramic. i also never heard one asides a sound-sample in mp3-quality (?!) thru my hifi-set, with a guitar i don't know, thru an amp i'm not shure of which one it is, where noone knows the settings, which was recorded with a shure sm57 (!), but which mixing console?, and so on...

ok. there it is again, the SOUND-SAMPLE problem...

the celestions are for a lucky reason easy to get, but only because i know the guy who is the wholesaler for austria...

oh well. this would not be so much of a problem, but good speakers are expensive...

anyway, greetings from vienna, helmut

Comment

Originally posted by oahu View Post
              hello.

the original ones are ok at low levels, but when turned up, they sound like, well, let's say s***!!!

the other thing is, since i build my first two amps (a TAD princeton-reverb-clone, and a 1976 deluxe-reverb, rebuilt completely to bf specs., both with a celestion gold), i'm so into the tone of these two amps and the celestion, i can't stand the sound of my old super-reverb anymore.

the two problems i have, are:

• buying 4 new (expensive) speakers, that you can't try out (most sound samples in the net are no good reference at all... but that would be worth a new thread too... speaking of sound samples: has anyone listened to the CD's included to the tom wheeler book "the soul of tone" on fender amps? i think, they are s*** too... )

• the celestion gold is NOT availiable in 10"!!! celestion should think about that fact. I would instantly buy 4 (!!!!)...

what i had in mind first, was buying either tone-tubby alnicos, or weber blue or silver-pubs, well that's about € 260/speaker for the tt's and € 180 for ONE weber. but who knows, how they sound in my amp. and then i thought about selling the super-reverb...

anyone out there, who has tried these speakers for that kind of amp?

thanks for your answers...
              Two WeberVST 10A125s or 10A100Ts and mix two ceramics such as two WeberVST 10F125s or 10F150s.
              Bruce

Mission Amps
              Denver, CO. 80022
              www.missionamps.com
              303-955-2412

Comment

Weber Rules

Well,because you have 4 it gets expensive BUT because you have 4 you don't need 4 - 100watt ones.

I'll tell you this. People who play blues & regular rock think that this speaker is the finest available for your super reverb.
                http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/10f125.htm

I personally like his british ones in my tweeds however I had him make an american 15" with a british cone for my tweed pro.
                It is like this :
                http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/10f125p.htm

You could put 2 of each one in your amp !

JJ

Comment

hello. thanks for your replies.

but noone of you mentioned or seems to like the tone-tubbys?

is it, because you would have a problem, explaining the funny smell to the police-officer, in case your amp catches fire? ...

greetings from vienna...

Comment

I have used a number of different Webers and have always been satisfied with Teds recommendation.I have emailed him and told him what I was going for and what amp I was going to use it in,and he has nailed it for me every time.Drop him a line.

Comment

Working...
                    X