1965 SUNN Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 SUNN Amp?

I just picked up what appears to be a 1965 SUNN Amp. It has a Dynaco mono amp and what looks like a crudely made split pre-amp section with the controls on the top of the head. I'm trying to find pictures or any information about the amp to see if it is in original condition. Value isn't that important to me but originality is. There is no logo on the front of the grill cloth, should there be? On the control plate there is a sun with a smiley face with an address in Portland Oregon. One curious thing is there appears to have been something mouted inside the right rear of the cabinet that is no longer there. By the impression in the covering and the screw holes, it would have been approx. 6" long and 3" wide. Maybe an effect??? Doesn't appear to have been something from the factory but I'm not sure. Any information and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated! I will try to post some pictures of it this evening.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jenkster; 02-11-2008, 05:11 PM.

Go here for all answers to your questions. The co-founder of Sunn back in the 60's, Conrad Sundholm sometimes posts on this site in addition to many other very knowledgeable people about all things Sunn.

Greg

http://sunn.ampage.org/

Comment

Thanks for the information Greg. As a matter of fact I did sign up for that forum also and asked questions. Just trying to get any information I can from the many amp gurus that are out there!

Cheers!

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

Glad you have been over there. Even though that site and this site are run by Tboy, all the Sunn guys visit at the other link instead of here. Probably because it was the Sunn site before it was Tboy's and everyone just stayed with it when Tboy took over.

Greg

Comment

Is this what you mean? It's a little cage used to shield the input jacks. It's made from the perforated cover that was on the original Dynaco power amp.
          Attached Files
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

No, there is a cage covering the two 4 ohm outputs on the inside of that back panel, nothing there on the 8 ohm outs? The thing I'm talking about would have been screwed to the inside bottom of the cabinet under the pre-amp section. I wish I could figure out how to lower the resolution of my pictures so I can post them. If someone would like me to e-mail them, I would be happy to do so.

I found a lot of issues with the power amp that are nearly fixed. Why would someone remove the bias cap and not replace it??? Why would you substitute the GZ-34 rectifier tube with a 5U4??? Why would you remove the resistor jumped at the pre-amp input designed to reduce hum??? Why would you put a 4 amp, 32 volt fuse in place of the 3 amp 250 volt fuse that belongs there??? I wonder why there was a ground loop hum??? There is more but, suffice it to say, there are issues! The pre-amp appears mostly untouched which is a good thing save for the 43 year old caps. The cool thing to me is the hand made pre-amp housing that was obviously cut with tin snips and hand formed to fit fit the cabinet, bitchin'! It is certainly a work in progress.

Comment

Pics!

Pictures I hope!
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's a couple more! You can see the clean area on the right where something was mounted?
                Attached Files

Comment

Last two pics! I have to thank my daughter for her help!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X