I need help with new 5f11 build--little volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with new 5f11 build--little volume

I have recently finished building a 5f11 copy, but am having some trouble getting it to work. I am getting very little sound out of the speaker and what does come out is very buzzy/distorted, decays quickly or cuts out, and is not very consistent. I have traced the circuit repeatedly--not that I couldn't have missed something--and have tried tubes from a working amp that I believe to be good. I am new to amp building and wuold appreciate any suggestions as to common errors/problems that could result in a problem like this. Thanks a lot.

Pete

What voltages do you get at the tubesockets?

Any pics of the circuit board?

Comment

The voltages are typically about 30% higher than called for in the schematic (b+ 420 rather than 340, etc.). I was attributing this to the combination of higher line voltage and a Sovtek 5Y3GT which I read does not provide the 50 V drop of a real 5Y3 tube. I'll need to get you a picture of the board.

Comment

Here is a picture of the board.

And the link...

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...IMG_6869_s.jpg
        Last edited by pjhalliday; 02-14-2008, 04:02 PM. Reason: Picture didn't show up

Comment

Thanks PJ, but I was rather hoping for specifics, pin by pin.

What plate current do you have on the power tubes?

Comment

Thank you for insisting on the pin voltages! I missed a connection between pin 4 and the + side of the second filter cap. I'll get that on later today and get back with the results.

Comment

It turns out that after making that connection and swapping the output transformer leads to eliminate a squeal I have a fantastic sounding amp!

Comment

Working...
              X