Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall channel in Normal channel of Fender reverb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall channel in Normal channel of Fender reverb?

I'm curious if anyone has done any mods to the Normal channel of a Fender Super, Twin, etc. to get a more Marshall like response? I'm interested in getting a similar tone to the JTM45, not a "high gain" circuit, while keeping the stock sound of the tremolo channel. IOW, I want "Marshall clean" vs. "Fender clean" in this channel.

Thanks

I havent tried this, but here what I would try:

You only have two triode stages to play with in the normal channel, while the JTM45 has three. Here's two ideas on how to make up for that:

1. Use the two triodes for the gain stages and use a MOSFET source follower instead of the cathode follower. See this article:
    http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folder...osfetfolly.htm

2. Use the two triodes for the gain stages and skip the cathode follower. Apparently it should work quite well to feed the tonestack directly from the plate of the last gain stage.

However, the JTM45 preamp still requires pushing the poweramp a lot to get distorsion, so you'll get a very dirty sound on the tremolo channel as well if you want to match the volumes; no "Fender clean" there.

To get more preamp distorsion, you could add clipping diodes like in late JCM800s. Not for the tube purists though... In "The Ultimate Tone 1", Kevin O'Connor describes a better way to use zener diodes and a resistor to get smoother more "tube-like" diode clipping.

Comment

Originally posted by d95err View Post
      I havent tried this, but here what I would try:

You only have two triode stages to play with in the normal channel, while the JTM45 has three. Here's two ideas on how to make up for that:

1. Use the two triodes for the gain stages and use a MOSFET source follower instead of the cathode follower. See this article:
      http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folder...osfetfolly.htm

2. Use the two triodes for the gain stages and skip the cathode follower. Apparently it should work quite well to feed the tonestack directly from the plate of the last gain stage.

However, the JTM45 preamp still requires pushing the poweramp a lot to get distorsion, so you'll get a very dirty sound on the tremolo channel as well if you want to match the volumes; no "Fender clean" there.

To get more preamp distorsion, you could add clipping diodes like in late JCM800s. Not for the tube purists though... In "The Ultimate Tone 1", Kevin O'Connor describes a better way to use zener diodes and a resistor to get smoother more "tube-like" diode clipping.
      How about sacrificing the Vibrato tube to add the extra gain stage? How much difference is there in the PI?

Comment

Go for it, that preamp reconfig. will sound really good in that amp. The PI can only enhance what you've done. I had a great expereince with an simple Ampeg style PI with an 800 circuit. The mosfet IRF820 will work well too.

Comment

Working...
        X