Loud tapping noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud tapping noises

I built my first two pickups a P90 and an uncovered HB and I am very happy with the overall results.

They are pretty conventional builds as far as output (8.24K and 7.35K) and construction, except the P90 uses slugs instead of screws.

The winding seems to be appropriately tight and firm and does not bulge. I did not pot either pickup.

When I tap on the P90 cover or HB bobbins with a pick, or blow on the pickups the noise is picked up microphonically at a fairly audible level. Also, they will capture other sounds such as tapping on the guitar body or toggling the selector switch.

However... the tone is great to my ears, they do not squeal and any feedback is very controllable and pleasing.

Is it normal for unpotted pickups?

Very much so. P90s especially, since the larger circumference of flat wide coils like the P90 allows for more play in the windings than a tall slim coil like a Strat does.

There was a great Canadian psychedelic band during the 1960's called The Paupers, and one of the 2 guitarists had a Tele that was so microphonic, he would hold it up and blow at the pickups to produce assorted sounds.

If you like that sort of thing, don't pot. If your, um, "material doesn't support those sorts of tones", I strongly suggest potting.

Comment

I had an early customer I did some tele pickups for. The neck pickup was a bit microphonic and he wrote me back telling me my pickups were defective because the neck pickup squealed. I found out he was in a bedroom about four foot square sitting directly in front a big Fender amp :-) If anyone has some old Gibson humbuckers from say about 1959 that are defective because they squeal send them to me instead of throwing them away, ok?
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
      X