who used 6SL7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who used 6SL7?

who used 6sl 7? how about it? Does it ues in guitar amp?
    compareing with 12ax7 commonly use in guitar amp?
    How many amp use 6sl7.
    who has it parameter?

6SL7 is equivalent to a 12AX7 with an octal base.

It sounds fantastic in a guitar amp, although octals have their own sound. They are preferred over 12AX7 for HiFi and harp.

I used a 6SL7 in the "Octal Champ". The web page includes sound files comparing several coupling caps.
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/...ctalChamp.html
    See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

Originally posted by PRNDL View Post
      6SL7 is equivalent to a 12AX7 with an octal base.

It sounds fantastic in a guitar amp, although octals have their own sound. They are preferred over 12AX7 for HiFi and harp.

I used a 6SL7 in the "Octal Champ". The web page includes sound files comparing several coupling caps.
      http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/...ctalChamp.html
      6SL7s are good tubes to mess with for a late 40s through late 50's tone.
      I guess you could still cascade their gain stages to get all you need for a gain monster, however, they aren't really equivalent to a 12AX7.
      They do have about one third to half the plate load impedance and about 30% less mu. More like 5751 or maybe a 12AT7?
      Regardless, I think they have a nice warmish sound to them which is great for a low gain, velvety toned amp.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

I've put together a little comparison guide for common preamp tubes:

9-Pin

12AX7: mu=100, plate resistance = 62K
        12AT7: mu=60, plate resistance = 15K
        12AY7: mu=40, plate resistance = 22.8K
        12AU7: mu=20, plate resistance = 8K

5751: mu=100, plate resistance = 70K

Octals

6SL7: mu=70, plate resistance = 44K
        6SN7: mu=20, plate resistance = 7K

In amps, they usually the 6SL7 or 12AX7 for gain and the 6SN7 or 12AT7 for phase inverters.

Due to the lower plate resistance, circuits with 6SN7 or 12AT7 also have lower values of plate resistor, instead of the 100K or 220K common with 12AX7's.

Bruce is correct about the tone ... it's very unique to the 40's and 50's.
        See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
        http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

another consideration

Ampeg used 6sl7s in some versions of the b15X portaflex bass amps until at least 68' (I'm not sure when they switched). It does have it's own sound but I think a big consideration about using them on new builds is finding a quality source for tubes. My 57' Ampeg Mercury uses them for the preamp, the tremolo and for the phase inverter and finding quality tubes has been a bit of a hassle. I read somewhere that octal pre-amp tubes are prone to picking up microphonics quicker than the miniture 9pin variety and I can attest from personal experience that it has been a personal observation of mine.

I am a bit curious if someone knows if they were out of production for a while because I remember not being able to find any new ones about 2 years ago. I see now there are several brandings that sell new manufactured 6sl7s and I don't know if they just started remanufacturing these recently. I am also interested if anybody has some first person experience with the reissues and their quality.

Comment

I have some NIB NOS 6sl7 here if your interested in buying some that you KNOW are of good quality.

Comment

Originally posted by drlowlow View Post
              Ampeg used 6sl7s in some versions of the b15X portaflex bass amps until at least 68'
              I built a clone of one of these with a 120W OT and four EH 6L6 for a friend.
              It has a warm and smooth but also punchy tone you can almost chew on.
              Best bass amp tone I've ever heard. At least for the music we do together (blues, soul and R&B).

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for every people give so more advices.I found interesting thing in this forum, Sometime, they arrange new thread on top, sometime the old thread on bottom

Comment

Working...
                X