Always going out of tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always going out of tune

I have an Ibanez Prestige 1570. Any time I use the trem, it goes completely out of tune. Locking nut doesn't seem to make a difference. I never have this kind of trouble with any Floyd Rose equipped guitars. Any ideas or suggestions?

I would check the springs and make sure the trem is setting parallel to the body, and see if it is still parallel to the body after using the trem. Make sure your saddles are in proper intonation and tightened down securely. Basically sounds like your guitar just needs a good setup. How many springs do you have on it.

Comment

I have to check on the springs. I would think they all should be there, I bought it brand new. Could bumping up to a higher gauge string be causing this issue? It was setup with this string gauge.
      Last edited by jak0lantern01; 02-20-2008, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Anytime you go to a larger gauge string and tune it the same youll need to have it setup again. That more than likely is causing your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogguitars View Post
          Anytime you go to a larger gauge string and tune it the same youll need to have it setup again. That more than likely is causing your problem.

Re-read my prior post.

Comment

trem

if you have set the trem up correctly, ie' its paralel to the body, strings have broken in, everything fastened down and correct then im afraid you might have damaged your trem. this is a very common problem. what loads of guitar players do is set the trem then adjust the action on the post screws with the strings upto full tuning tension, if this is the case then what happens is the trem jaws grate against the posts cutting at each other which leaves micro slits as your adjusting the action, so what happens then is when you depress the tremelo and the trem comes back up it does not sit to where is was exactly, (you cant see this by eye).VERY common problem for those who dont look after or make silly mistakes setting up the guitar.this prob is more suspectible on crappy cast bridges....hope this is not the case

Comment

Are your stretching your strings when you put them on? I always give them a little pull around the middle of the neck, and then they will drop down a step or so, then I tune them back up and they stay in tune.

So get them up to pitch, and then give them a gentle pull.... pull them about two inches, nice and slow. Then you will see that they slipped back, and tune them up again. You might need to do it twice. Then lock your nut.

Floyds are tricky to get tuned up to start with. I used to tune the low E to A, and then tune the other strings to normal pitch, and the lower the low E back to it's correct pitch. This helped when the bridge starts to drop because of the string tension increasing.

You can also stick a small block of wood or something under the bridge when you are putting string on to keep it level, and then tune as usual, and remove the block. Then fine tune.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
              X